Location: Seattle, Washington
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world's leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world's deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
This is an exciting time to join Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center. Under the leadership of Dr. Thomas Lynch Jr., president and director and Raisbeck Endowed Chair, Fred Hutch has just completed a multi-year effort to reimagine cancer care and research in the region. On April 1, 2022, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center and Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA) merged to become Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, a single, independent, nonprofit organization that serves as UW Medicine's cancer program. Fred Hutch now operates eight clinical care sites that provide patients with the latest cancer treatments and supportive services. Based in the South Lake Union neighborhood of Seattle -- an international hub for technological and life sciences innovation -- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center collaborates with some of the biggest and best-in-class leaders who turn high-impact translational research into therapies for patients. These partnerships have resulted in a growing number of licensing agreements, strategic partnerships, and spinout companies. More than 40 companies have been founded on Fred Hutch science to translate discoveries into treatments.
Philanthropy is critical to Fred Hutch's success and in FY22 we secured $105M in gifts and grants. Fred Hutch is hiring an Executive Director of Institutional Giving to lead the Foundation Relations and Corporate Engagement teams. Candidates must be mission-driven, entrepreneurial, capable of building relationships with a variety of stakeholders, highly motivated, and share the organization's commitment to eradicating health disparities due to systemic racism. The Executive Director will lead by example in collaborating with internal and external constituents to strengthen a culture of philanthropy that supports Fred Hutch's vision for the future.
Leadership & Management
- Manage the Corporate Engagement and Foundation Relations teams to drive renewed and increased philanthropic support
- Lead, manage, and implement change, as well as motivate and mentor staff while increasing performance toward stretch goals
- Strengthen and establish solid and cohesive working relationships with all Philanthropy Program Directors, engaging staff at all levels in capacity building efforts
- Create an environment that develops and retains talent through inclusive and regular feedback and performance management
- Actively monitor key fundraising trends and issues, make recommendations, and communicate implications of changes to the Assistant VPs and the VP, Philanthropy and leadership team
- Under the direction of the Assistant VP of Gifts and Grants and with the VP of Philanthropy, develop and implement effective, creative, and personalized strategies for increased giving -- via unrestricted and/or project specific support -- for each funder
- Partner with scientific and administrative leadership to devise multi-channel funding strategies for current and emerging center priorities
- Be conversant in the scientific research and advances in clinical care and their respective roles in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer and other diseases
- Prepare and monitor resource allocation including annual budgets and staffing plans
- Persuasively articulate the mission and goals of Fred Hutch and translate complex science and clinical priorities to inspire gifts and grants
- Actively partner with colleagues in Principal Gifts, Philanthropic Gifts, Planned Giving, and Leadership Annual Giving to ensure best practices and leverage the many ways in which Fred Hutch can garner support
- Facilitate meaningful interactions for donors and prospects with faculty, as well as administrative and volunteer leadership, including the President and Director, Board of Directors, and Board of Advisors, as appropriate
- Align solicitation strategies with Fred Hutch goals for operations, research, patient supportive services, education initiatives, and new initiatives of the strategic plan
- Meet annual revenue goals and other key performance metrics, including but not limited to retention, number of proposals submitted and asks made, number of grants awarded and gifts closed, and number of donors qualified or disqualified
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward corporate and foundation prospects capable of gifts at $1 million+
- Create and strengthen relationships with funders and prospects using data-driven identification, qualification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship methodologies including potential opportunities with Business Development
- Sustain and deepen relationships with key internal stakeholders including the Office of Sponsored Research, Business Development, Finance, and Marketing + Communications
- Participate in a robust schedule of in-person and virtual events and represent Fred Hutch in the community
- 8+ years of progressive leadership experience in philanthropy or related field, with increasing levels of responsibility and consistent performance against revenue goals
- Proven track record of successful team and program development; proposal and grant writing or related experience
- Agile and able to implement change to adapt to changing external forces and emerging priorities
- Strategic, intellectually curious problem-solver with demonstrated success in establishing thought leadership, developing vision and goals, and executing strategic and annual plans
- Strong operational and analytical skills
In order to be considered for this position, please provide a cover letter describing your interest and fit for the role.
- Bachelor's Degree desired or equivalent work experience
- Comprehensive campaign experience in a complex, high performing organization
- Experience within a research and/or healthcare institute or educational institution
- Strong strategic planning and project management skills
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and engage staff toward a shared goal
- Skilled in building trusted relationships with all levels within and outside the organization
- Ability to deliver on commitments and hold others accountable
- Strength in effective and strategic decision making
- Track record of recruiting and retaining talented team members and colleagues
- Leads with intellectual depth, integrity, vision, creativity, and a sense of humor
This position is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. As such, full COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment, without exception. Booster doses are strongly recommended but not required. If declining a booster, completion of the COVID-19 Vaccination Status Form Questionnaire and COVID-19 Booster Declination Training is required. Because of our immunocompromised patient population, there are no medical or religious accommodations available for any employee who is patient facing and/or requires access to Fred Hutch clinical facilities. Only employees whose positions are fully remote, who are not patient facing and/or require no access to clinical facilities, may apply for medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must provide proof of vaccination before their first day of employment.
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $138,022 to $230,036 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications. This position may be eligible for relocation assistance.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (12-22 days per year), paid sick leave (12-25 days per year), paid holidays (13 days per year), paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks), and partially paid sabbatical leave (up to 6 months).
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.