Career Services Specialist III - Career Education Coordinator
Iowa State University
Location: Ames, Iowa
Type: Full Time
4 Year Degree
Internal Number: R13440
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services is seeking qualified applicants for a Career Education Coordinator (CEC) position. This position will manage the curriculum and logistics necessary for LAS’s career preparation course (currently known as LAS 203) that will be required of all LAS undergraduate students as of the 23-24 Catalog. The course’s learning goals focus on helping students to define and manage their professional career goals and to seek out and apply for experiential learning opportunities such as internships.
The CEC will be responsible for the training, ongoing development, and indirect management of the team of professional staff who teach LAS 203.The CEC will also be the lead for the design, assessment, and iterative development of the course’s materials, tools, and structure, with a focus on providing an inclusive and positive learning environment for all students. The CEC will teach a limited number of sections of LAS 203. Additionally, the CEC, in consultation with the Director of LAS Career Services, will serve as the primary liaison for college faculty, staff, and advisors on the integration and scaffolding of career development throughout students’ degree plans (e.g., first-year or transfer orientation courses).
The successful candidate will have the ability to strategically manage the development and implementation of a large-scale program in service of college and unit goals. The candidate will possess the ability to prioritize multiple ongoing tasks concurrently and to build professional relationships with employers, students, faculty, alumni and staff. Excellent curriculum development, training, management, and problem-solving skills will be needed to be effective in this role. Finally, strong communication, presentation, organizational, and interpersonal skills are necessary to be successful.
Position is currently eligible for up to 40% remote work under the WorkFlex program.
• Senior-level position possessing high-level professional and/or technical skills working independently under minimal supervision to support ISU’s mission and department or work unit goals
• Applies senior-level professional knowledge and expertise to work requiring greater latitude
• Solves moderately complex problems and regularly exercises judgment to determine appropriate action
• Regularly exercises judgment to resolve problems and determine appropriate action on a broad set of issue and problems. May provide recommendations regarding problems/issues outside the bounds of defined procedures and practices
• Responds to complicated inquiries, provides training, and provides direction to lower-level staff
• May provide supervision for one to two other staff (i.e., leads a small work team)
• May lead projects for which well-defined practices and procedures may not exist
• Provides guidance to students
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of related experience
Master’s Degree or Higher Experience in career services, human resources, or employment recruiting Experience with teaching and advising Experience with curriculum development and course design principles for both online and in-person courses Experience with training, ongoing development, and indirect management of a project team of professional staff Demonstrated experience with creating and maintaining professional partnerships