Senior Academic and Education Support Advisor, Student Athletes
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
4 Year Degree
Internal Number: IRC28384
Position Summary: The Senior Academic and Education Support Advisor manages the student workers who serve as tutors, educational assistants, front desk workers, and academic support staff. This position provides a high-quality academic advising experience to students. The Senior Academic and Education Support Advisor performs duties related to referrals, outreach, and partnerships. This position participates in committees and handles other related duties as assigned. This position continually improves academic advising skills and practices.
Essential Functions of the Job:
1. Function: Manage Student Workers - Plans, implements, and evaluates a comprehensive tutorial and study hall program for student-athletes that meets the dynamic needs of the student-athletes while maintaining a system of checks and balances to ensure integrity and compliance with NCAA, American Athletic Conference and University rules and regulations; supervises student worker academic support staff; recruits, hires, trains, schedules, monitors, and processes payroll for all tutorial support staff within the department, in accordance with WMFO policies and procedures; conducts tutor orientation and on-going education with “train the tutor” programs (in collaboration with learning specialist) and implementation of a tutor certification for the professional development of this staff; monitors and evaluates tutors and tutor session reporting daily; tracks and provides reporting on tutor usage and activity; responsible for the implementation and updating of a Tutor/Educational Assistant Handbook; manages the observation, evaluation, and continuous implementation of developmental training for tutors, student-athletes, tutoring sessions, study groups, review sessions, and Student-Athlete Academic Services staff; continuous reviews, integrates, and promotes campus educational support and resources, including campus Tutoring Center, and faculty development as tutorial resources and variations of presentation (such as drop-in tutoring, review sessions, etc.); creates and maintains a database of tutors and support services enabling quantification of semester and academic year statistical analysis of tutoring in order to budget accordingly, identify current needs, and project areas of greatest need; oversees the scheduling, staffing, and operational structure of front desk workers; responsible for effective and timely communication of services and programs to student-athletes, coaches, and academic staff; provides oversight of technology such as TeamWorks and Retain as it relates to academic functioning; develops and implements academic programming to address and educate tutors and student-athletes on topics including, but not limited to academic integrity and plagiarism; develops and maintains an academic resource library for tutors; and performs campus outreach and community efforts shall include but are not limited to university academic departments and the ALTC. (65%)
2. Function: Academic Counseling and Advising - Advises assigned student-athlete population with course selection and major selection ;ensures NCAA and Tulane University eligibility and progress towards degree requirements are being met; maintains updated NCAA eligibility and progress towards degree tracking and paperwork; communicates with Academic Advisors/Program Coordinators about major and degree requirements; communicates with faculty; provides clear, accurate, and consistent communication on a frequent basis with ASC staff members and athletic coaches about the progress of assigned student-athletes; meets weekly with members of assigned athletic teams regarding academic progress in each class, including performance on tests, quizzes, papers, attendance, etc.; documents advising notes in assigned platforms; serves as principal contact for all student athletes in assigned sports as pertains to academic advising; monitors required study hours of assigned student athletes; monitors academic progress of assigned student athletes; ensures student satisfaction and success by meeting with students individually throughout the academic year; reviewing degree plans to assure students are progressing satisfactorily; and discussing academic and career development goals with students; advises students on academically related matters to include degree planning, selection of major (s) and minor (s), curricula and core requirements, course scheduling and sequencing, and arranging appropriate academic timelines leading to personal, academic and career goals and success; evaluates student academic background and qualifications, guide student decision making and make appropriate recommendations; recognizes students with academic trouble, or personal challenges, or at risk and develop appropriate remedies and inform and/or refer to appropriate individuals and/or services; monitors students at risk and develop plans to help them succeed; adheres to the concept of advising as a proactive initiative and a form of teaching; learns and implements student development theories and practices as they pertain to academic advising and develop and practice a consistent academic advising philosophy; and celebrates student accomplishments, recognize student successes and personal triumphs, and recommend students to scholarships and other awards. (15%)
3. Function: Referrals, Outreach, and Partnerships - Assists the Director in processing summer school applications; meets with prospective student-athletes and their parents when they are on campus; assists the Director of Student-Athlete Academic Services with semester 3.0 awards ceremony; assists with distributing and collecting textbooks; assists in graduation activities, including planning student-athlete graduation reception; attends events for assigned sports and student-athletes; serves as a liaison with the coaching staff for updates of academic progress; serves as a liaison between students and faculty/administration; serves as a mediator to successfully resolve academic and other student-related issues; participates in outreach to prospective students and families during orientation, campus visits, recruitment events and individual meetings; works collaboratively with other campus resources and make referrals as appropriate; works cooperatively and productively with academic advising liaison in the assigned school/academic department to maintain current knowledge of programs/majors and academic policies and procedures; participates in events sponsored by assigned schools or departments; works closely with assigned academic departments and respective offices on developing academic policies to ensure consistency in academic decision making; and assists with coordination and planning of student activities related to advising, new student orientation, commencement, and other related programs. (5%)
4. Function: Committees, Work Standards and Other Related Duties - Performs other duties as assigned by the Director of Student-Athlete Academic Services and may include evening and weekend responsibilities; understands that rules compliance is a critical element of this position and adhere to NCAA, Conference, University rules, regulations, and policies; attends appropriate rules compliance programs offered by the NCAA, Conference, Tulane University and Athletics Compliance Office as requested; attends all staff meetings as requested or assigned by Director of ASC and collaborate with other offices on campus as necessary; and assists the ASC staff members with other assignments, events, and special projects to include recognition ceremonies, orientation, recruitment of prospective student-athlete, book distribution, etc. (5%)
5. Function: NCAA Related Duties - Ensures that all Department of Athletics and University related activities operate in full compliance with university, conference and NCAA rules and regulations; attends and participates in scheduled compliance seminars and complies with all the Athletic Department’s efforts to monitor compliance with NCAA regulations; seeks interpretations from the compliance staff before acting when necessary; reports potential rules violations immediately; completes required compliance paperwork in a timely and efficient manner; and monitors all of their areas and/or programs activities closely to maintain compliance with applicable rules and regulations. (5%)
6. Function: Other Duties - Performs other duties as requested or required, whether or not specifically mentioned in this job description. (5%)
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree with 1 year of academic advising (or closely related experience) in an educational setting.
High School Diploma (or Equivalent) with 7 years of academic advising experience (or closely related experience) in an educational setting.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities/Competencies:
Experience in Counseling, Education, Psychology, or related field
Considerable full-time experience working with college students in an academic setting or related student service area.
Experience working with diverse student populations, including ‘at-risk’ students, and ability to programmatically respond to the challenges affecting student-athletes while pursuing a degree at a highly selective institution.
Ability to work nights and weekends.
Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills to develop and maintain effective interaction with a diverse population.
Ability to respond appropriately and operate with a sense of urgency within a fast-paced environment.
Working knowledge of curriculum and academic standards of Tulane University.
Familiarity with and sensitivity to multicultural student-development issues and concerns
Awareness and understanding of current trends in academic support services.
Knowledge of collegiate academic structures/processes and the ability to guide and lead Division I student-athletes.
Experience with and accountability for NCAA, American Athletic Conference, and Tulane standards, rules, and procedures.
Master’s Degree in Counseling, Education, Psychology, Social Work, or closely related field
Experience in a collegiate athletic setting.
Experience managing student workers or other personnel.
Experience developing onboarding and training materials for student workers or other personnel.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants are required to apply for IRC28384 via the Tulane University employment website (https://jobs.tulane.edu/position/IRC28384). The position is OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Please Note: Depending on your role and the department in which you work, you may be expected to adhere to COVID-19 requirements, such as vaccinations and booster shots.
Tulane University is committed to creating a community and culture that foster a sense of belonging for all. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We are intentionally seeking candidates who are committed to fostering equity, diversity, and inclusion in support of Tulane’s Strategy for Tomorrow.
Tulane University is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact the Office of Human Resources & Institutional Equity by phone at 504-865-4748 or email email@example.com.
Founded in 1834, Tulane is one of the most highly regarded and selective independent research universities in the United States. A member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, we take pride in being a part of this select group of 62 universities with “pre-eminent programs of graduate and professional education and scholarly research.” Our schools and colleges offer undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees in the liberal arts, science and engineering, architecture, business, law, social work, medicine and public health and tropical medicine. With a seventeen-sport program that competes in the American Athletic Conference, Tulane Athletics is on the rise, boasting one of the oldest and most storied athletics programs in the Southeast, and indeed the nation.
Tulane University is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer with a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. Applications by members of all underrepresented groups are encouraged.