Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org.
To treat every child as we would our own
To treat others as they would like to be treated
To turn no child away for any reason
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
Full - Time: 40 Hours Per Week 1st Shift: 8am - 5:00pm Monday - Friday Remote with onsite requirements as needed Applicant must reside in Ohio or Pennsylvania at the time of offer
The Director of Planning, Design and Construction (PDC) ensures effective management of the PDC department and capital construction projects as well as supporting an exceptional Environment of Care for Akron Children's. This position is responsible for developing and maintaining a positive relationship with all assigned stakeholders, senior leadership, both operational and financial. Additionally, the position will represent Akron Children's in public AHJ (authorities having jurisdiction) matters, managing a collaborative and productive relationship with public officials. The Director of PDC will be strategically focused and consider project delivery methods that add exceptional value to the organization. This role will have a strong collaboration with the Director of Facilities and consider long-term energy conservation, sustainability, planning for capital equipment, real estate management and master facility planning. PDC departmental staff will report directly to this position.
1. Develops PDC operations strategies and direction for PDC to become a best-in-class operation.
2. Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders to develop project proposals and support business plan development. Level of internal and external analysis to support planning will be evaluated with leadership to determine level of investment.
3. Defines and develops PDC policies, methods, standards and tools to provide guidance and support to the optimal function of the department across current and new facilities.
4. Takes a leadership role in real estate management and optimization for the organization in collaboration with the vice president of operations.
5. Establishes and leverages strategic project delivery methods including Integrated Lean Project Delivery (ILPD), traditional project delivery and analytics to enable operational improvements and create value for the organization.
6. Executes PDC operations initiatives to manage project budgets and schedules to achieve the best quality for planning and construction projects.
7. Serves as a liaison with architects, engineers and contractors and implements vendor management policies and procedures to ensure continuity of PDC operations with internal and external stakeholders and regulatory compliance.
8. Collaborates and mentors staff on negotiation of major and complex projects to best manage scope, budgets, schedule and quality to meet the organizations needs.
9. Develops effective internal controls that promote adherence to applicable state/federal laws, and program requirements of accreditation agencies including building codes, environmental and safety regulations.
10. Drives improvement in project delivery, project management, and stakeholder alignment to support operational efficiencies.
11. Acts as a PDC business advisor to senior leadership and affiliate leaders to achieve organizational targets.
12. Establishes governance over vendor procurement and logistics management activities to achieve organizational targets.
13. Develops, implements, and monitors performance improvement and/or customer service programs in assigned areas to ensure work assigned is completed in a timely manner.
14. Maintains the standardization of programs, files, processes and systems in PDC functions to ensure operational effectiveness.
15. Performs duties assisting Director of Facilities with energy conservation, sustainability, planning for capital equipment and facility planning including renovations, accreditation, risk management and hospital infrastructure.
16. Regular attendance is required to carry out the essential functions of the position.
17. Reviews and meets ongoing competency requirements of the role to maintain the skills, knowledge and abilities to perform, within scope, role specific functions.
Education and Experience
Education: Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, or related discipline. Master's degree preferred.
Experience: 10 years project management experience in the healthcare construction industry as an Owners Representative, Architect, Engineer, or General Contractor. Proven experience managing ground-up, existing building renovation, or other routine and capital construction projects. 5 years supervisory experience managing coworkers. Leadership experience and the ability to inspire individual and team excellence.
Certification/Registration: State licensed Architect, Engineer or construction related certification.
Other Skills and Knowledge: Interpersonal and communication skills necessary to effectively build relationships at all levels of the organization. Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to be flexible and creative in developing solutions that deliver results. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple initiatives simultaneously and to adapt to rapidly changing schedules, priorities, and workflow. Must have sound judgment and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills that deliver practical solutions. Ability to make sound decisions that support the successful completion of projects. Strong organizational skills. Must be able to type and proficient with use of Bluebeam, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: