The Study Abroad Advisor manages a designated portfolio of semester and/ or summer programs and advises LMU students throughout the entire Study Abroad process, offering guidance and support from the time a student begins an application to the student's successful return to campus after the program's conclusion. This position works directly with LMU faculty members, partner institutions, and relevant LMU offices to ensure the success of the programs in the portfolio, and the students' experiences on those programs. The position is responsible for maintaining complete student records, ensuring compliance with all LMU policies and processes.
Position Specific Responsibilities/Accountabilities
1. Advise students through the entire program application process. Offer guidance for program selection, identifying programs in accordance with students' academic, career, and personal goals. Share and clarify campus resources for academic and financial planning. For each assigned program, act as the main point of contact for questions and concerns from students, their family members, and other constituents.
2. Ensure compliance with LMU policies and procedures for all applications to programs in the Study Abroad Advisor's personal portfolio. Process and review completed applications (including reading and scoring application essays), and make recommendations for acceptance according to office protocols. Work directly with faculty members to confirm application approval process for summer programs.
3. Advise accepted students prior to their departure. Provide site-specific details including: flight and arrival information, course selection and registration, immigration requirements and processes, pertinent health and safety information. Resolve concerns along the way.
4. Provide personal support for students during their experiences abroad and surrounding their re-entry to LMU, troubleshooting any credit transfer issues as necessary and providing resources for continued support and opportunities on campus.
5. Maintain accurate online program brochures for each assigned program, working with Faculty Directors and partner institutions as necessary to make edits from year to year for summer and semester programs. Ensure that each assigned program's application includes all necessary forms and procedures prior to each application cycle.
6. Represent the Study Abroad Office at external University programs, e.g., open house, orientation, family weekend, preview day, meetings of professional groups, etc.
7. Maintain knowledge of current trends, resources, and standards of good practice for professional management of Study Abroad programs. Attend relevant professional conferences as recommended.
9. Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Loyola Marymount University Expectations
Exhibit behavior that supports the mission, vision, and values of the university. Communicate and employ interpersonal actions that model high standards of professional, responsible, accountable, and ethical conduct. Demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service.
Bachelor's degree. Master's degree preferred. Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed and to stay current on regulation/policy changes.
Minimum 3 years of related experience. Some experience studying, working, teaching, traveling, and/or volunteering abroad. Some experience counseling, teaching, or working with students, preferably in a college setting.
Demonstrated knowledge of the various aspects of international travel (cultural considerations, immigration procedures, world geography, currency, politics, foreign language proficiency, etc.).
Exemplary communication skills (both written and oral). Experience giving group presentations.
Ability to work effectively with faculty members, students, and other administrators from diverse backgrounds.
Ability to handle sensitive and confidential communications and documents.
Demonstrated computer competency and familiarity with database systems.
This position is in-person with eligibility for a hybrid schedule after 90 days of employment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Reasonable Expected Salary - $64,480 - 66,000. Salary commensurate with education and experience.
$64,480.00 - $71,600.00 Salary commensurate with education and experience.Loyola Marymount University, a Carnegie classified R2 institution in the mainstream of American Catholic higher education, seeks outstanding applicants who value its mission and share its commitment to inclusive excellence, the education of the whole person, and the building of a just society. LMU is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment as defined by federal, state and local law. We invite all persons in the full diversity of their being, life experience, and beliefs to apply. (Visit www.lmu.edu for more information.)
Founded in 1911, LMU is a premier Catholic university rooted in the Jesuit and Marymount traditions. Our enrollment includes 5,962 undergraduate, 2,129 graduate and 1,278 law school students. Our 142-acre bluff-top campus is located in West Los Angeles and is among the nation's most beautiful and green campuses.