Job Description Advise and counsel full and part-time undergraduate and graduate students/families on the availability of financial aid, the delivery process for receiving it, and the reconciliation processes required to ensure that financial aid funds are transferred to student account.
Responsibilities include reviewing student applications, performing verification procedures, reviewing/evaluating appeals, and interceding for students with participating departments (School administrators, Student Accounts, Registrar, and Co-op).
KEY RESPONSIILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES:
1) Counsel and advise students and parents on financial aid process, NU billing procedures, and financing options. Provide conflict resolution with student accounts office, lenders, and guarantor. Monitor satisfactory academic progress.
2) Administer federal, state and Northeastern-based financial assistance. Review student applications and perform federal needs analysis to determine eligibility. Verify information according to federal process. Review and evaluate student appeals. Implement NU based awarding guidelines.
3) Perform the per term audit of federal eligibility: adjusting aid and monitor satisfactory academic progress. This audit must be done at various times throughout the term and after every term.
4) Supervise activities and provide technical support for staff assistants and work study students to assure that procedures meet federal and NU requirements. Coordinate with staff to assure that the needs of the Counselor caseload is met.
5) Represent the Financial Aid Office at Open Houses, student meetings, workshops and part-time evening programs to overview and answer questions regarding the financial aid process.
Bachelor's degree preferred or relevant experience
Experience in student personnel administration, preferably in financial aid or student accounts
Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
Ability to communicate well by telephone and email, in addition to face-to-face interactions
Willingness and ability to give presentations to large groups of students and their families
Working knowledge of ServiceNow, Banner, Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel preferred
Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse student population
Strong analytical, decision-making, and problem solving skills
Northeastern University considers factors such as candidate work experience, education and skills when extending an offer.
Northeastern has a comprehensive benefits package for benefit eligible employees. This includes medical, vision, dental, paid time off, tuition assistance, wellness & life, retirement- as well as commuting & transportation. Visit https://hr.northeastern.edu/benefits/ for more information.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.