Administrative Assistant I, Department of Computer Sciences
Bridgewater State University
Location: Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Internal Number: 24315
Bridgewater State University is an inclusive community dedicated to the lifelong success of all students, focused on the continuous improvement of its people, and responsible for leading innovation that benefits Southeastern Massachusetts, the commonwealth, and the world. Bridgewater's accessible environment of teaching and learning stimulates critical thinking, pursuit of new knowledge,and deeper understanding, the cultivation of meaningful and diverse interpersonal relationships, and fostering an appreciation for global engagement, all aimed at transforming lives and improving the human condition.
Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion is reflected in our institutional values, which ensure that all students are supported and succeed.
Bridgewater State University is equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. Members of underrepresented groups, and those committed to working in a diverse cultural environment, are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Department of Computer Science is a mid-sized, cordial, collaborative, and innovative group of 8 full-time faculty members. The Department prepares students for exciting careers and graduate school through high quality instruction in small classes and close collaboration between faculty members and students on projects. The goal of the Department is to provide students with a strong foundation in computer science, one that also promotes critical thinking and lifetime learning. The Department is located in the Dana Mohler-Faria Science and Mathematics Center where faculty and staff work with students in labs equipped with modern equipment and technology. The Bachelors of Science in Computer Science at Bridgewater State is ABET accredited. The Department also offers a MS degree in Computer Science.
Members of underrepresented groups, minorities, veterans, persons with disabilities, and all persons committed to diversity and inclusive excellence are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Administrative Assistant I position serves as the first point of contact for the Department of Computer Science and maintains a positive, welcoming and accessible office environment. This position assists the Chairperson and faculty with the daily activities within the office of the Department of Computer Sciences, including scheduling, assignment of advisees to faculty members, delivery of mail to departmental members, assistance with student reports and work orders, , webpage maintenance, processes purchasing and other orders for the department and provides administrative support to the Computer Science Faculty.
Tour of Duty: Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm (Saturday and Sundays as days off) *Initial assignment only. Subject to change according to institutional needs.
This is an AFSCME position and is subject to the terms of that agreement.
When you join the team at Bridgewater State University, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative, and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners.
1. Receive, direct or respond to departmental inquiries, provide information and direction, and assist all students with their questions. Maintain positive student interactions: greet, disseminate information, and answer questions for courses and equivalencies and field questions to assist in advising current and transfer students.
2. Assist the Chairperson in preparing, analyzing, and managing the department schedule.
3. Coordinate student advisor assignments; update and maintain changes to departmental advising handouts and manage all forms for student academic use. Manage lab access permissions for students and part time faculty at the start of each semester, assist in paperwork submission and record keeping for research students.
4. Administer and monitor the department purchase orders for computer science department supplies and hospitality events for the department. Maintain office supplies by checking inventory and ordering items for all department team members.
5. Assist Faculty with bookings as needed (meetings, seminars, and special events) through Conferences and Events; assist with advertising and support for departmental activities.
6. Maintain attendance records, mailbox distribution, posting of pertinent information for students and faculty; monitor department activities to ensure effective communication and office efficiency. Maintain record of telephone extensions and room numbers for all departmental members.
7. Communicate with department faculty and interface with other BSU departments within the College of Science and Mathematics, Academic Affairs, Human Resources, Academic Achievement Center, Registrar, and Facilities in order to exchange information and coordinate efforts.
8. Compile data and prepare reports concerning assigned department activities in order to furnish required information and to make recommendations concerning procedures and activities.
9. Maintain copy machines and printers to support faculty with daily needs. Communicate office equipment malfunctions to full and part time faculty. Pick up copies from the University Copy Center as needed.
10. Communicate faculty absences / leaves, general building, office, or teaching space repairs, appropriate vendors, inform and update faculty of space issues as needed.
11. Compile faculty evaluations, package and label evaluations for full and part time faculty; collect and process forms and deliver to the Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Science and Mathematics in each Fall and Spring semester.
12. Maintain a record of student successes, including admissions to graduate programs, jobs and internships.
13. Assist with the onboarding of new members of the department, including Full and Part Time Faculty and new Staff to communicate policies and procedures specific to the Department of Computer Sciences and to the University.
14. Additional responsibilities or special projects as directed by the Chairperson consistent with rank and position.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community.
Applicants must have at least two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management, the major duties of which included one or more of the following functions: purchasing, personnel management, budgeting, accounting, records management, work simplification, grants management, contract administration or program management, Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management.
Knowledge of the types and uses of general office equipment.
Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations.
Ability to deal tactfully with others and to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
Ability to establish rapport and maintain harmonious working relationships with persons from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds.
Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Ability to gather information through questioning individuals and by examining records and documents.
Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare general reports.
Ability to prepare and use charts, graphs, and tables.
Ability to give written and oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
Ability to exercise sound judgment.
Ability to understand, explain and apply the rules, regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing departmental activities.
State Job Specifications are available in the Human Resources Office and/or the department web page: www.bridgew.edu/hr
Working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher) strongly desired.
Working knowledge of Outlook.
Working knowledge of the Banner System for acquisition of Student Records.
Experience working in a customer service driven environment.
Ability and interested in learning new technical skills
Experience working in a higher education environment.
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
This position is not eligible for H-1B sponsorship.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
This position must comply with the University Covid-19 Attestation requirement. All employees must be fully vaccinated and complete the Covid-19 Attestation upon hire.
Medical or Religious Exemptions
An employee may request an exemption to the vaccination requirement based on the existence of medical contraindication to vaccination. In addition, an employee may request an exemption to the vaccination requirement based on a sincere religious belief. In both cases, an employee will be required to submit documentation to support the request for an exemption. Employees who secure an exemption may be required to take additional precautions in the workplace and will be required to participate in weekly COVID-19 testingthrough the university's Wellness Center.
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.
Since its founding in 1840, Bridgewater has remained steadfast in its commitment to empower individuals and instill in its community an abiding desire to advance the public good. Our rigorous and dynamic academic environment encourages students and faculty to develop their strengths and become leaders in their fields. At the same time, we strive to lead by example. As the university continues to build momentum, we continuously reinvest in the success of our students and our region.