Responsible for providing administrative support to the Graduate Program in Materials Science and Engineering Department and the Polymer Science and Engineering Programs in the Rossin College of Engineering. The Coordinator will work with the Department Chair, Director of Graduate Studies and Program Directors and be involved in the primary functions of admissions, recruitment and programmatic operations. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Graduate application administration *Processes preliminary applications; notifies applicants of pre-application decisions *Administers CollegeNet, the application processes and requirements *Logs applications into database, creates reports and submits completed applications to the Materials Science and Engineering Graduate Committee *Reviews and verifies applications; notifies applicants of missing documents *Monitors applicants who have not responded to acceptance letters *Creates and maintains files for all applications *Submits applicable international student information to the Office of International Students and Scholars and to the English as a Second Language Office *Prepares applications for faculty recruiting potential supported students *Reviews applications for potential students requesting fee waivers and notifies eligible students *Prepares decision letters, notifies applicants of acceptance and rejections and records the decisions into appropriate databases *Track incentive offerings and funding programs for incoming applications
2. Graduate Program coordination *Coordinates correspondence with Graduate, Curriculum and Advisory Committees *Prepares graduate student and financial statistics for each semester *Provides updated course descriptions and enrollment information for faculty and graduate students *Collects nominations for various college level fellowships and completes data entry in CollegeNet *Collects financial information from faculty needed for financial support consideration *Provides payroll information for teaching assistantships and Departmental graduate assistantships *Prepares and processes the graduate student financial support letters and collects tuition award forms *Reviews accounts to ensure sufficient funding is available for various support offered to graduate students *Compiles data and completes graduate student surveys *Coordinates and prepares agendas for prospective graduate student visits *Prepares department reports for Teaching Assistants and fellowship assignments *Advises graduate student on petitions and forms *Assists the Distance Education Faculty Coordinator with the distance education curriculum and students in Materials Science and Engineering and Polymer Science and Engineering Programs *Promotes the growth of the distance education program *Provides department support for the graduate accreditation process *Coordinates the Departmental "Student Buddy System" for incoming graduate students and assigns graduate student Advisors *Completes University, College and Departmental surveys
3. Graduate program advertising and recruitment *Collaborates with the Dean's office marketing team to maintain the graduate program website *Coordinates and facilitates Department virtual recruitment events and activities *Responds to program inquiries
4. Coordinates preregistration, registration and orientation *Prepares and sends registration information to all incoming and onboard students and faculty each semester *Prepares orientation presentation materials for the Faculty Graduate Coordinator *Provides forms, PINS, overrides, etc. to students to complete registration *Coordinates distribution of departmental information *Reviews graduate students' registrations each semester to ensure that students are fulfilling degree requirements and completing timelines *Monitors grades and appropriate paperwork while updating and advising students on progress and future course action needed *Ensures international students are compliant with University and federal guidelines *Assists students preparing for General Exam, Proposal and Defense with required deadlines and format of documents *Provides parking services a list of students and their positions each semester
5. Graduate student coordination *Manages graduate student desks and office space allocations *Issues key requests and building access for graduate students and Visiting Scientists *Coordinates student safety training *Disseminates information regarding potential job opportunities *Provides and processes appropriate Graduate Student forms *Provides information and reminders for graduation *Schedules and disseminates TOPSS testing information *Monitors TOPSS test scoring and English proficiency requirements for Teaching Assistant qualifications *Updates student files each semester *Gathers teaching assistantship and Departmental graduate assistantship information *Coordinates qualifying examinations, proposals, diagnostic exams and defenses *Serves as a member for the MSE Graduate Committee *Recruits and organizes graduate students volunteers *Supervises work study students and approves hours *Maintains and updates graduate student guidelines and the graduate student handbook *Advises Lehigh undergraduates interested in graduate school
6. Department coordination of graduate events *Coordinates and organizes departmental seminar series in conjunction with the graduate students *Organizes and manages the PhD Open House *Coordinates seminar speakers’ travel and reimbursements *Coordinates rooms and catering for events and conference *Promotes events, advertising and web coordination *Coordinates faculty participation
Position Number: S77740
The duties of this position may allow the employee to work partially remote as deemed appropriate by their supervisor
Associates Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; Bachelor's Degree preferred
Three to five years of related work experience
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and a high level of customer service required
Ability to build, foster and maintain positive professional relationships
Solid analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
Excellent computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
All Lehigh faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated and receive a booster shot six months after their second vaccine; unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.