The Recruiting Coordinator at Rice University works under the direction of the Director of Player Personnel, and, is responsible for the identification, evaluation, and recruitment of student athletes for the football program. This person partners with the DPP and the rest of the recruiting department as well as others on the coaching staff in developing recruiting strategies, in cooperation with the DPP and Head Football Coach. The Recruiting Coordinator also is responsible for supporting the philosophy, goals, and mission of Rice University and its intercollegiate athletics program as well as adherence to Departmental, University, Conference USA, and NCAA policies and procedures as it relates to recruitment of student athletics.
-Perform evaluations of prospect video and pass along to coaching staff.
-Request, evaluate, and process prospect academic records/transcripts.
-Assist coaching staff with coordination of weekly mailings.
-Assist the Director of On Campus Recruiting with tours and official/unofficial visits.
-Assist coaching staff with management of social media accounts.
-Data entry for prospect database.
- Conducts market research of assigned territories. Implements recruitment activities such as travel, tele-recruitment, online chats, and email campaigns
- Works with other members of the admission staff on projects related to communications, on-campus recruitment programs, internal training, general or targeted recruitment activities, or other projects as needed
- Reads, evaluates and makes high level recommendations on applications utilizing admissions rating system
- Ensures compliance with federal and state laws concerning college admission, FERPA, and affirmative action
- Develops and delivers outreach programs
- May conduct quantitative analysis of admission data
- Serves as a public relations and an information resource for events, meetings, committees and conferences
- May hire, train and supervise temporary staff and/or interns
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Additional Functions / Information
-Assist with coordination of prospect registration on game day.
-Assist coaching staff with travel arrangements during contact and evaluation periods.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of Conference USA and NCAA rules and regulations as it relates to recruiting
- Coordinate recruiting efforts for the offense or defense as assigned by DPP.
- Manages (plans and schedules) all visits with High School Coaches regarding student athletes practice dates; creates the travel schedule for assistant coaches ensuring efficient use time and financial resources; ensures assistant coaches schedules comply with Conference USA and NCAA recruiting rules and guidelines
- Creates and maintains a working relationship with all high school coaches; acts as liaison between the Rice coaching staff and the high schools
- Coordinates the design, production and mailings of all recruitment materials and information with the graphic designer
- Manages (creates, plans, coordinates and executes) all recruiting events and visits with student athletes to Rice University such as visits on Game Day, Junior Days, and Spring Practices; conducts campus tours
- Monitors initial eligibility of incoming freshmen, works closely with high school counselors, clearinghouse and advisors to ensure student athletes prospects are academically eligible, and informs coaches regarding student athletes prospects SAT / ACT testing dates; ensures compliance with the scholarship count
- Partners with compliance to distribute application and monitor admissions into Rice University; collects transcripts and test scores of prospective student-athletes
- Provides updates to the Recruiting Board as set forth by the Head Football Coach
- Maintains a database for recruiting, summer camp records, correspondence, expense summaries, etc.
- Facilitates the administration of football camp, coaches' clinic, and day-to-day activities as assigned by the Head Coach; assists the camp director with summer camps and coaches clinics
- Manages recruiting social media accounts (Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat)
Experience and Education Requirements
*Bachelor's degree in related field
* 2-5 years related professional experience in student recruitment and/or working with a collegiate or professional football program.
*Must possess (or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license with no more than three moving violations and/or at fault accidents within the past 36 months, and no convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years
No substitutions for education or experience allowed
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent reading comprehension skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and make distinctions among competitive applicants
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills such as professionalism, collaborative, influencer and demonstrates cheerful and positive behaviors
- Demonstrated presentation skills
- Evidence of program planning and management skills
- Must have proper knowledge and skills surrounding the sport of football
*Related experience working with a collegiate or professional football program.
*Knowledge of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics rules/regulations
Working knowledge or ability to learn Recruiting Arms Software.
Working knowledge or ability to learn Whistle Recruit Software.
Working knowledge of Catapult Recruit Software
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.
Current Rice University COVID policies, which include vaccination, face mask, testing, gatherings, occupancy limits, and travel policies can be found here: https://coronavirus.rice.edu/policies
As a leading research university with a distinctive commitment to undergraduate education, Rice University aspires to pathbreaking research, unsurpassed teaching and contributions to the betterment of our world. It seeks to fulfill this mission by cultivating a diverse community of learning and discovery that produces leaders across the spectrum of human endeavor.