Tenure Track Assistant or Associate Professor of Counseling
University of Detroit Mercy
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Higher Education Institution
Internal Number: CLAE-0110-085
FT Faculty UDMPU (9 month)
University of Detroit Mercy Department of Counseling and Addiction Studies invites applicants to join our nationally-recognized Counseling program at the assistant professor or the associate professor rank (for those who currently hold the rank of associate professor) to begin August 2022. The Counseling program offers Master’s programs with specialties in School, Clinical Mental Health, and Addiction Counseling.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Responsibilities include teaching core courses in the Counseling program, research and scholarly activities, student advising, curriculum oversight, and service. Normal teaching load includes nine credit hours per semester with a nine-month appointment. Supplemental summer appointments in teaching are also available.
• Ph.D. in Counseling from a CACREP-accredited program within a non-profit, traditional academic institution;
• Master’s degree with a specialty in School or Clinical Mental Health/Community Counseling from a CACREP-accredited program within a non-profit, traditional academic institution;
• School counseling; other clinical experience;
• Licensed Professional Counselor/equivalent and/or ability to attain full licensure in Michigan;
• Potential for or record of successful teaching and research for applicants for assistant professor;
• Demonstrated record of peer-reviewed publications, scholarly productivity, and a demonstrated record of teaching excellence at the associate professor rank for consideration of associate professor rank;
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and advocacy.
• Significant school counseling experience/clinical experience (five years or more) excluding practica and internship;
• Record of peer-reviewed publication(s) and/or other scholarly publishing;
• Experience working in an urban environment and/or experience with marginalized individuals.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Commensurate with experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Include a letter of application addressing qualifications, including teaching and scholarship, curriculum vitae, and names and contact information of three references. Applications are due by June 15, 2022. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Michigan's largest, most comprehensive private University, University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. Detroit Mercy seeks quali?ed candidates who will contribute to the University's mission, diversity, and excellence of its academic community. University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity A?rmative Action Employer with a diverse student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.