Responsible for serving as professional advisor for undergraduate business students. The incumbent will partner with the others within the College of Business Undergraduate Programs Office to: support advising-related and other co-curricular programming; collaborate with faculty to address advisees' needs; provide critical services to students during key events and participate in admissions, alumni and community events. The Advisor is expected to participate in professional associations external to Lehigh to promote the College of Business. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Serve as professional Advisor for undeclared undergraduate business student cohort(s) as assigned *Guide students in course request and/or registration processes *Advise students with regard to co-curricular engagement, adjustment issues and connecting to appropriate offices across Lehigh to meet needs; refers students to other Lehigh offices as appropriate *Provide advising for course selection, academic planning, and drop-add *Answer student inquiries and resolve problems in one-on-one meetings, via e-mail and in group sessions; Proactively reach out to students to foster connectedness while simultaneously developing students' independence as informed decision makers *Maintain current knowledge of professional standards, Lehigh policies and laws and regulations relevant to advising and support services *Conduct advising outreach and work systematically with students who may need extra support, including students on probation and those not making expected progress towards degree *Support efforts of supervisor to help mentor new staff with respect to advising and support activities *Other advising activities as assigned
2. Collaborate with other members of the College if Business Undergraduate Programs Office as assigned to support key events and programming for prospective and current undergraduate students *Recognize important tasks that need to be done, proactively identify and address problems/opportunities that can impact team performance, facilitate information flows and pitch in as necessary to provide student service *Participate in team planning, status checks and debrief meetings to ensure students' needs are being met in a timely and quality way *Provide mentorship to newer staff to enable professional development and growth in capacity of the office to meet college and student needs *Engage in larger College of Business Undergraduate Office updates and Department initiatives to ensure coordinated efforts and to maintain positive organizational climate and team spirit in pursuit of our Office mission
3. Prepare academic advising-related materials and provide additional support as assigned *Participate on the team to train Faculty Mentors and serve as an information resource for faculty/staff regarding course requirements, University services and other issues that impact student success and satisfaction *Collaborate with others in the College of Business Undergraduate Office staff to provide accurate, easy to use tools to support advising and students' academic decision making *Other activities as assigned
4. Participate in appropriate professional associations external to Lehigh to promote the College of Business' reputation, engage in the exchange of best practices and gain ongoing professional development
5. Engage in advising-related, co-curricular and other Office programming as assigned *Meet regularly to exchange updates and coordinate goals, programs and timelines *Collaborate with the Undergraduate Programs Office team to help ensure coordinated Office communications *Proactively seek ways to improve communications to business students to help build their awareness of Lehigh resources and opportunities *Support networking as students transition to professional roles *Other activities as assigned
Position Number: S82120
The duties of the position do not allow for a remote work option; the employee in this position will be required to work on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
This position may need to work weekends or evenings to support advising-related and/or College of Business Undergraduate Office programs during peak seasons
This position works with minors
Bachelor's Degree in Higher Education, Business or related degree; Master's degree preferred
Three to five years related work experience
Relevant experience in a higher education environment preferred
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to build, foster and maintain positive professional relationships
Solid writing ability, attention to detail and organizational skills
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing, spreadsheet and database software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Because of increasing COVID case counts in the region and new information about the characteristics of the Delta variant, all Lehigh faculty and staff will be required to be fully vaccinated unless they receive an approved medical or religious exemption from the requirement.
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.