$1,000 Hiring Bonus ($500 paid out after 30 days and after 6 months)
In a career as a Crisis Counselor with the Boys Town National Hotline, you have the opportunity to bring forward your passion of helping other people. Sometimes, a friendly, nonjudgmental voice can be the difference between utter despair and a glimmer of hope. Hope is exactly what thousands of people each year find when they call the Boys Town National Hotline. You would make an impact by addressing issues ranging from bullying and family problems to substance abuse and suicidal thoughts.
Job Summary: Boys Town National Hotline is a 24/7 crisis line; with a primary focus to de-escalate crisis situations presented via phone, chat, text and email. Crisis situations can range from relationship struggles, parenting issues, child abuse, anxiety, depression to suicidal thoughts and suicide attempts in progress. If you have a passion for helping others, you enjoy providing support and encouragement to others, and enjoy working in a team environment the crisis counselor position would be a good fit for you!
Wednesday - Saturday 2:30pm - 11:00pm
Sunday - Wednesday 7:00am - 5:30pm
* Assesses immediate and long-term safety of the client to determine what next steps should be taken.
* Use basic counseling techniques such as questioning, paraphrasing, and reflective listening.
* Remains calm and objective during life-threatening situations, enlists support of senior staff as needed for * difficult calls, and makes joint decisions about further action.
Provide helpful information to clients including parenting skills and problem solving and walks client through steps to arrive at a solution.
* Follows established actions in handling each call, text and email and utilizes judgment within each situation.
* Documents details and information given within the course of the contact and provides reports as needed.
* Determines urgency and nature of contact and provides appropriate short-term crisis counseling or resource information, problem solving techniques, and advice.
* Serve as a role model in carrying out the Boys Town mission.
* Bachelor's degree in Social or Behavioral Science is preferred. * Previous crisis intervention or hotline experience preferred. * High level of interpersonal, critical thinking, and problem solving skills. * Computer skills in Microsoft Office, or other related programs, and web-based or other electronic communication formats. * Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in an articulate, professional manner while maintaining necessary degree of confidentiality and appropriate content.
About Boys Town: Boys Town has been changing the way America cares for children and families since 1917. Our employees have helped us grow from a small boardinghouse in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, into one of the largest national child and family care organizations in the country. With the addition of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, our services branched out into the health care and research fields, offering even more career opportunities to those looking to make a real difference.
Our employees are our #1 supporters when it comes to achieving Boys Town's mission, which is why we are proud of their commitment to making the world a better place for children, families, patients, and communities. Unique perks to Boys Town employees and their families include free visits to Boys Town physicians and free prescriptions under the Boys Town Medical Plan, tuition assistance, parenting resources from our experts and professional development opportunities within the organization, just to name a few. Working at Boys Town is more than just a job, it is a way of life.
Date Posted: January 4, 2022
This advertisement describes the general nature of work to be performed and does not include an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, or abilities required. Boys Town is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in the E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. To request a disability-related accommodation in the application process, contact us at 1-877-639-6003.
Since the opening of Boys Town National Research Hospital in 1977, the hospital has been internationally recognized as a leader in clinical and research programs focusing on childhood deafness, visual impairment and related communication disorders. We have developed national medical programs that are now instituted in hospitals and clinics across the country.
Today, the hospital offers a broad range of clinical services, including ear, nose and throat services at the Boys Town Ear, Nose and Throat Institute, general pediatric care with Boys Town Pediatrics, and orthopaedic, internal medicine, pediatric gastroenterology, allergy, asthma, pediatric pulmonology, behavioral health, audiological and ophthalmologic care.
The hospital has expanded to offer surgical and clinical services at two Omaha locations: 555 North 30th Street in Omaha and 14000 Hospital Road on the campus of Boys Town, Nebraska.
Boys Town National Research Hospital has assembled national leaders in research who are making important contributions in the areas of genetics, hearing, language, vision and speech disorders. Applying these findings with new technologies, distance learning and the exploration of ne...w research frontiers, the opportunities for new medical diagnoses, evaluation and treatment discoveries are endless.
Accredited by The Joint Commission, Boys Town National Research Hospital is dedicated to providing leading edge clinical care, pioneering translational research and improving the lives of children and their families through applied technology and educational outreach programs. The hospital annually serves more than 40,000 children and families from across the United States.