MN Department of Natural Resources - Division of Parks and Trails
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Required Education: Some College
Salary: $15.00 / hourly
Outdoor Recreation/Experiential Education
4 openings available.
Internal Number: 51294
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) provides outdoor recreation activities and manages Minnesota's natural resources to create economic opportunity and a sustainable quality of life. We are driven to find talented, innovative employees to help us carry out this mission.
This posting will be used to fill up to 4 MinnAqua internship. The location of these internships will be at Fort Snelling State Park, Itasca, McCarthy Beach/Scenic, and Whitewater.
MinnAqua is a statewide education program designed to teach recreational fishing and stewardship as well as ecology and conservation of aquatic habitats. Learn more about MinnAqua at mndnr.gov/minnaqua. This internship is excellent for Natural Resources or Education majors.
Work hours vary, but will include afternoons/evenings, weekends, and holidays. Summer 3.5 month positions are from early to mid-May through Labor Day. This schedule is flexible and varies according to school year and state park. Housing is not provided. For more state park information, visit the DNR website.
Selected applicants will be REQUIRED to attend a mandatory 3-day training held May 24, 2022 through May 26, 2022 at Lake Carlos State Park. This statewide naturalist training is held BEFORE the regular 3.5 month summer position begins. Uniforms are provided.
• Teach fishing skills, fish identification, aquatic ecology, fisheries management, and water stewardship to a variety of audiences using MinnAqua lessons and resources.
• Staff park's visitor center and answer questions from the public. Provide the public with accurate information about the park's facilities, programs, trails, and recreation opportunities.
• Comply with conditions outlined in MinnAqua's Aquatic Education Special Permit, other permits, and MN Fishing Regulations including measures to avoid spreading aquatic invasive species and special regulations for specific water bodies.
• Represent the Parks and Trails Division, MinnAqua, and the DNR positively by providing excellent customer service for the public and DNR staff.
• Inspire among program participants enthusiasm for Minnesota's natural, cultural, and recreational resources.
To be eligible for an internship, you must meet the following requirements:
• You must be a student at an accredited educational institution; AND
• Your advisor must certify that you will either receive academic credit or fulfill an academic requirement. The signature of a sponsoring academic instructor is required prior to beginning an internship.
• Majoring in science education or natural resource related field (i.e. biology, botany, fish and wildlife, ecology, Minnesota natural or cultural history, environmental studies, natural resources management, environmental/outdoor education).
• Ability to work in adverse weather and environmental conditions, and handle fish and bait.
• Ability to manage and complete assigned duties by working independently.
• Possession of or the ability to possess a Minnesota fishing license (and Trout Stamp if program sites include designated trout waters).
• Excellent human relation and communication skills sufficient to represent the position and Division in a professional, efficient, and clear manner.
• Experience in public speaking or communications.
• Experience with fishing techniques including knot-tying, casting, and using a spincast rod and reel combo.
• Experience related to aquatic resources such as aquatic biology, fisheries, etc.
• Volunteer work or employment related to education, environmental education, or interpretation.
• Experience working with diverse audiences including families, youth, young children, senior citizens, and adults with various physical and learning abilities and ethnic backgrounds.
• Strong organizational skills. • First Aid and CPR certifications (for youth and adults).
• Experience conducting outreach to Hispanic communities and/or fluent-speaking in Spanish.