Medium and Heavy Truck Technology Faculty, Full-Time
Community College of Philadelphia
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Salary: 40300.00 - 44000.00
Internal Number: 147681482
Community College of Philadelphia
The Transportation Technologies department invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in Medium and Heavy Truck Technology anticipated to begin in the 2022-2023 academic year.
The Transportation Technologies Department includes a variety of degrees and certificates in the areas of Automotive Technology and Individualized Studies. The department strives to meet the needs of all students interested in obtaining an education in these areas and is focused on preparing professionals, for successful careers. The program currently has manufacturer supported training programs with Ford, Nissan and Subaru. We are in the process of building a new state-of-the-art automotive and medium and heavy truck facility and significantly expanding our transportation technology programming. This position will play a key role in developing and teaching the medium and heavy truck associate degree program.
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions.
• Teach Medium and Heavy Truck courses to students with an interest in becoming medium and heavy truck technicians and working in dealerships or fleet repair centers.
• Support community college students as they further develop their medium and heavy truck technology skills, professional attitudes, and behaviors, for college and workplace success.
• Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline and requirements as guides.
• Create an engaging ASE preparation program so Medium and Heavy Truck graduates exit the program prepared to earn ASE certifications.
• Become expert in Medium and Heavy Truck curricula and other course materials, and prepare lectures, hands-on activities, and presentations for effective teaching.
• Attend required Medium and Heavy Truck trainings and facilitate student engagement on the college's learning management systems
• Establish, maintain and implement a system to effectively attract and retain students for the Medium and Heavy Truck degree program from the Greater Philadelphia region.
• Create a vibrant Medium and Heavy Truck advisory committee to help fill the needs of area medium and heavy truck service providers by creating lasting relationships that facilitate student and graduate employment opportunities.
• Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
• Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
• Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times.
• Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning, including learning and using manufacturers' software when applicable.
• Develop and maintain working relationships with Philadelphia's Medium and Heavy truck industry/workforce. This includes development and maintenance of a manufacturer supported program agreement so students have a pipeline opportunity with an area dealers.
• Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, or as a student organization advisor.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Actively participate in the academic life of the College; including participation in graduation, recruitment events, general assemblies, student life activities and other cross functional teams. Create learning opportunities for students inside and outside of the classroom including opportunities to teach dual-enrollment high school students.
• Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom. Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College's faculty, staff and students.
• Participation in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention. Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population. Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Commitment to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession. Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.
• Associate of Applied Science degree in Medium and Heavy Truck or Diesel Technology .
• 5 years of experience as a Master ASE technician in Medium/Heavy Truck or Transit Bus.
• Bachelor's degree in a related field.
• ASE Master Certified Technician with L2 Advanced Electric Diesel Engine Diagnosis Certification.
• College level teaching experience.
Work Location Main Campus
Special Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Name and contact information for three (3) references REQUIRED.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
• Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE.
Community College of Philadelphia is the largest public institution of higher education in the City. Since 1965, over 500,000 students have passed through our doors seeking associate's degrees, certificates, improved workplace skills and lifelong learning. Many of our degree students transfer to four-year institutions while others seek employment in the Philadelphia region. Over 90 percent of our graduates remain in the area and seek employment, strengthening our local economy and workforce. Local businesses look to us to provide workplace training to keep their workers skilled and their companies competitive. We offer over 70 degree and certificate programs in art, science, business, technology and liberal arts. Many of our students have hectic schedules, and we know how to accommodate every type of learner. Classes are held during the day, in the evening and on Saturdays at the Main Campus, our three Regional Centers and at neighborhood sites throughout the City. Distance education classes are also available.