Rutgers University- Newark (RU-N), an urban public research university and anchor institution, located in Newark, New Jersey, a city of promise is seeking a Student Counselor. Reporting to the Assistant Dean III of the Rutgers Business School.
The Student Counselor is responsible for and not limited to the following:
Advise a caseload of Rutgers Business School students on major selection and planning, course selection, suggest study plans, policies and procedures of Rutgers Business School and Rutgers – Newark;
Monitor academic standing and progress towards completion of the Bachelor of Science degree;
Provide liaison services for students with other university offices, as necessary;
Maintain accurate records and student data for use in various departmental reports;
Provide advisement, counseling, and support to assigned caseload of students from registration through graduation;
Notify and advise students on academic jeopardy and counsel those contemplating withdrawal from the University;
Evaluate degree completeness forms to determine student's progress and help develop a plan for successful completion of program using Degree Navigator and student transcript;
Maintain and convey knowledge of RBS academic policies and procedures to effectively advise students regarding their curriculum for six different majors including general education requirements, including non-RBS students with declared business minors;
Recommend new policies and ways to improve current policies;
Coordinate with registrar and other university offices relating to direct services to students and scheduling;
Work with Assistant Deans to develop and implement innovative programs to provide outstanding services to students;
Responsible for developing, implementing, running, and evaluating programs and activities related to RBS student college transition, retention, attrition, degree completion progress, student support, and tutoring services;
Develop liaison relationships with RBS faculty and staff, other university departments, community college personnel, and community partners while furthering the achievement of all department, college, and university goals.
Minimum Education and Experience:
· Requires a Bachelor's degree in a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
· Requires two years relevant experience in an administrative function, good communication and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Requires a bachelor's degree with a minimum of three (3) years of experience in higher education;
· Able to multitask and handle a diverse range of responsibilities, including multiple tasks and interruptions;
· Possess professional, courteous, and respectful behavior;
· Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication, public speaking, organizational and planning, and interpersonal skills;
· Use strong problem solving skills daily;
· Able to work with faculty and staff at all levels;
· Demonstrate a proficiency in computer skills (including data management and assessment), various computer programs (Office Platform, Accuplacer, RUTADMIN, and Image Now), as well as knowledge of the university audit systems and sources of assistance;
· Must be able to work evenings and weekends;
· Travel to New Brunswick for professional development, training, workshops.
· Master's Degree;
· Experience at an institution of higher education preferably working with diverse populations of students;
· Background/education in business, education, higher education, student affairs, etc.
Standard software: MS Office, various home-grown applications, etc.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state's preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Rutgers is dedicated to teaching that meets the highest standards of excellence; to conducting research that breaks new ground; and to turning knowledge into solutions for local, national, and global communities. As it was at our founding in 1766, the heart of our mission is preparing students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. Rutgers teaches across the full educational spectrum: preschool to precollege; undergraduate to graduate and postdoctoral; and continuing education for professional and personal advancement. Rutgers is New Jersey's land-grant institution and one of the nation's foremost research universities, and as such, we educate, make discoveries, serve as an engine of economic growth, and generate ideas for improving people's lives.