Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Student Financial Services, along with the Associate Director of Student Financial Services, the Counselor will assist with the daily operations of the student financial services offices to support Campus Operations ensuring the professional, efficient and compliant processing of student financial aid records. The Counselor of student financial services will assist in the processing of FAFSA applications, resulting billing processes, and counseling of students and families. The Counselor will also serve as a primary member of the student financial services division, ensuring student centered service in meeting the needs of traditional, non-traditional, adult, and minority student populations.
1. Process the daily workflow of the student financial services staff; assist with projects and assignments from the Systems Management Operations staff, the Business Operations staff, and the student financial services staff, in an organized and consistent manner as outlined by the Vice President and the Executive Director of the division.
2. Counsel students and families, detailing the Student Financial Services processes, including but not limited to student aid eligibility, Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, enrollment requirements, packaging policies, registration & subsequent billing processes, R2T4 calculations, and all associated federal, state, and institutional policies.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of financial aid regulations, along with registration, enrollment, disbursement and refund (financial aid related) regulations. Must keep abreast of ever changing federal, state, and institutional regulations and policies; ensure institutional policies and procedures are updated on a regular and consistent basis; ensure supporting staff are trained as regulations are updated.
4. Complete Department of Education Verification processes for those selected. Verify those with conflicting data. Make appropriate ‘professional judgments’ for those with special circumstances utilizing knowledge of detailed financial aid regulations and related experience. Manage registration, loan certification, and related outreach and processing efforts of subordinate Student financial services staff members.
5. Process daily payment and related receipts; including, not exclusively, book store voucher processes; collect resulting registration payments; issue appropriate receipts; post appropriate payments; issue applicable receipts; reconcile daily receipts; process refund requests and account corrections; sell parking permits; accept payments for special services.
6. Perform various tasks as assigned for Financial Services activities, such as: Open House, Accepted Students Days, Scholarship Events, etc.
7. Attend all departmental staff meetings and training sessions.
8. Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
Demonstrate evidence of detail-orientation, customer service orientation, ability to work independently, ability to manage great levels of responsibility required. • Demonstrate leadership, interpersonal, written and oral communication, problem-solving, organizational, and presentation skills. • Candidate must be flexible as position does require occasional evening and/or weekend hours and may also include travel to other campuses. • Bi-lingual (Spanish) a plus.
Mercy College is a dynamic, diverse New York City area college whose students are on a personal mission to get the most out of life by getting the most out of their education. Our institution is an independent, coeducational college that offers more than 90 undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs within five schools: Business, Education, Health and Natural Sciences, Liberal Arts and Social and Behavioral Sciences. Mercy College’s efforts in these programs have been recognized over the last several years. As a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), Mercy College, has been honored by being ranked nationally among the top Colleges in the country for Hispanics by the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU). Mercy College was further recognized by HACU as a national leader in awarding bachelor’s degrees to Hispanics in several disciplines, including Psychology, Sociology and Business. Additionally, to support our diverse student body, Mercy College has pursued and been awarded a number of federal grants which enable us to better develop and deliver services to our students. As a Hispanic Serving Institution, Mercy College is proud to... be recognized as an institution which helps under-served students to achieve their educational aspirations. Westchester Magazine has also named Mercy College the Best College in Westchester county in 2019 and 2020.The vibrancy of the College culture is sustained by a diverse student body from around the region. Enrollment, including full-time and part-time undergraduates and graduates is approximately 10,557; The College offers campuses in Dobbs Ferry, Bronx, Manhattan as well as online offerings. At Mercy College, we strive to provide employees and their families with a comprehensive and valuable benefits package. We offer high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts, flexible spending, and much more. OUR MISSION: Mercy College is committed to providing motivated students the opportunity to transform their lives through higher education by offering liberal arts and professional programs in personalized and high quality learning environments, thus preparing students to embark on rewarding careers, to continue learning throughout their lives and to act ethically and responsibly in a changing world. EEO STATEMENT: Mercy College actively engages in recruiting a diverse workforce and student body that includes members of historically underrepresented groups, and strives to build and sustain a welcoming and supportive campus community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, marital status, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. Mercy College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/M/F/Veteran/Disability