POSITION SUMMARY: The College Counselor is responsible for guiding students and parents through the college admission and financial aid process. He or she will join a dynamic educational environment where all administrative and teaching colleagues work collaboratively to build and maintain a learner-centered, inclusive school community. The College Counselor commits to the mission of Catholic education in the Mercy tradition.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
Guide students and families as they move through the college research, application and selection process
Assist students with building their college list with outside research
Write letters of recommendation
Collaborate with English department on Common App essay
Advise students about course selection
Review students’ college application materials
Maintain regular contact with students and parents throughout the process
Develop and maintain professional relationships with college admission representatives; visit 5+ colleges a year
Keep current on college admission and financial aid standards and trends
Assist in organizing and facilitating workshops, college fairs and college advisory class for students, parents, and faculty to understand further their roles in the admission process.
Attend professional conferences including NACAC, ACCIS, and College Board
Attend Gwynedd admissions open houses, interview applicants and parents, read and evaluate prospective student applications annually
Additional administrative responsibilities to be determined based on skills and experience
· Knowledge of the structure of the educational system as well as cultural, political and social influence on current educational practices
· Knowledge of college application process and current admission trends
· Impeccable listening and communication skills both written and spoken; Ability to be flexible with daily schedule, e.g. using time-management skills
· Proficiency with SCOIR, school data systems, Microsoft/Google platforms
· Demonstrate multicultural, moral, ethical, and professional competencies
· Ability to collaborate effectively with parents, teachers, administrators, community leaders, and others to promote and support student success
2-4 years of experience in college counseling or admissions required.
About Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School
Founded in 1861, Gwynedd Mercy Academy High School is an independent, all-girls Catholic college preparatory school sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy and located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The School’s mission is to educate, inspire, and empower young women to be merciful in spirit, innovative in thought, and courageous in leadership.