At Milken Community School, we think education is more than what you know. Our School, founded on Jewish values, is about who our children can become and how they can help others become who they might be. Because the world our children will create tomorrow is born in the school we build today, our mission is to educate our children so they can surpass us.
The Upper School Science Teacher is a full-time teacher and member of the Science Department, reporting to the Department Chair. The ideal candidate is comfortable working in a highly collaborative environment where value is placed on the skills and passions of the discipline within a larger context of school mission and integrative thinking. Primary responsibilities include: teaching 4 science classes per year, serving as a student advisor, and collaborating on school-wide programming as necessary and appropriate.
- Monitor progress of each student for mastery of course content, providing intervention or differentiation when necessary and appropriate, and consistent high quality feedback always.
- Ensure relevancy by connecting course content to other academic domains and authentically exploring the relationship between course content, the Milken Community School mission, and the Portrait of the Graduate. - Utilize collaborative and individual learning opportunities that support student growth.
- Design lessons that are well-sequenced in terms of content and developmental appropriateness.
- Develop learning experiences where inquiry, curiosity, and exploration are valued.
- Create a learning environment where students feel safe and welcome.
- Place a strong emphasis on learning and the important natural role mistakes play in learning.
- Demonstrate situational adaptability that balances the needs of social teens, the needs of the lesson, and teachable moments.
- Engage with students outside the classroom through office hours, Jewish experiential activities, and school-wide programming.
- Pursue ongoing professional development in the fields of education and science study.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required, master’s degree or higher preferred.
- Previous teaching experience required, at the high school level preferred.
Interested candidates, please send letter of interest and resume to: [email protected]
About Milken Community School
At Milken Community School, we think education is more than what you know. Our School, founded on Jewish values, is about who our children can become and how they can help others become who they might be.
Because the world our children will create tomorrow is born in the School we build today, our mission is to educate our children so they can surpass us.
*Inspired by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks.