Responsible for advising and providing support to 200+ undergraduate student clubs and organizations through leadership development opportunities. The Assistant Director coordinates programs, trains and develops student leaders of clubs, advises the Student Senate Club Affairs Committee, provides oversight and direction of the student organization resource room, supervises student staff and participates on assigned committees and collaborative projects within the Dean of Students Office. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Work with the Assistant Dean to coordinate, conduct and establish short and long range planning activities to create intentional and meaningful student organization involvement opportunities for the undergraduate student population *Collaborate with the Assistant Dean of Students to develop semester and year long office/department learning outcomes and strategic goals *Develop all relevant educational and lesson plans in alignment with department learning outcomes and strategic goals *Assist with the development of action steps to accomplish office/department learning outcomes and strategic goals *Assist with the distribution and implementation of the office/department learning outcomes and strategic goals, specifically related to student organization development *Develop and implement assessment and evaluation methods to ensure leadership education educational plans are meeting intended learning outcomes and strategic goals *Integrate office/department leadership education curriculum into all relevant programs, trainings and service offerings *Serve as an integral member of the Office of Student Engagement by attending regular staff meetings, assisting with other initiatives and coordinating special projects when needed
2. Support and advise student organizations *Train students in effective program planning, organizational management, etc. *Provide student organizations with support and knowledge on University policies and procedures, fundraising ideas and contract negotiation *Review and approve event planning forms *Train and advise students in the areas of budgeting/fiscal management to ensure organizations follow proper spending guidelines *Provide advice on financial procedures and review club finances for event planning *Monitor student organization financial account activity in the Engage system *Approve departmental expenses and coordinating services with University departments *Work with Risk Management and General Counsel to assess risk for organization events *Work with student organizations on contracts they wish to enter into with outside entities and work with the Assistant Dean on the approval of all final contracts *Assess training sessions and programs to determine if needs of students are being met *Serve as a resource to faculty advisors for student organizations regarding club activities and the advisor role *Assess and evaluate all training session and programs to ensure that current needs of students are being met and that all information/process are in alignment with university best practices
3. Advise Student Senate recognized organizations and coordinate development initiatives *Direct, advise and train Student Senate club affairs committee to ensure high level student-led decision making on recognition of new student organizations *Assist the Assistant Dean and the Dean of Students in advising the Student Senate on matters related to student organizations and student life *Coordinate Workshop Wednesday student organization training series *Oversight of development and implementation for all print, digital and in-person student organization training and personal development offerings *Manage programming budget and process financial transactions for office/department sponsored programs *Coordinates Fall and Spring Expo involvement fairs
4. Oversight and direction of the Student Organization Resource Room (The SOuRCe) *Manage the day-¡to-¡day operation of the The SOuRCe *Hire, train and schedule a Graduate Assistant *Hire, train and schedule student workers who staff the resource room during hours of operation and provide event planning assistance *Oversee training and coordination of student resource room supervisors *Develop educational resources for clubs and organizations *Coordinate inventory orders to ensure room is fully supplied *Develop and maintain usage tracking system for evaluation and assessment purposes *Responsible for strategic planning, marketing and advertisement of the space *Coordinate housekeeping, maintenance and operational support services for the space *Confer with the Assistant Dean to evaluate and make recommendations supporting the Operating Procedures/student staff-+ implements changes *Supervise student staff that oversee GoldPLUS Machine rental/operations
5. Serve as an integral member of the larger Dean of Students Team *Serve on Student Affairs committees and special projects as appropriate *Collaborate with University administration and other offices to facilitate good interoffice working relationships and partnerships *Provide guidance and serve as a resource to faculty and staff related to student leadership learning, organization management education and student development *Support the Dean of Students, Divisions and University efforts to ensure the creation, promotion and adherence to the Principles of Our Equitable Community
Position Number: S78810
This position is expected to work remotely while the campus remains in a limited capacity due to COVID-19; in the future it is expected that this position will be staffed on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
This is an 11 month position, having the month of June off
Weekend and late night hours required
Master's Degree in Counseling, Higher Education or related field required
One to three years related work experience
Experience working with student groups preferred
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Solid analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
Supervisory experience preferred
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, national criminal background checks, motor vehicle checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance and credit history based upon the requirements of the position
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Internal Number: 499487
About Lehigh University
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.