Instructional Support Assistant - Non-Invasive Cardiology - Part Time - Includes Weekend Hours - 2101444
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Instructional Support Assistant is a valuable member of our team, who provides administrative and executive support and has the ability to interface with all levels of management throughout the hospital.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a THInstructional Support Assistantin Non-Invasive Cardiology departmentmay include the following but are not limited to:
- Patient Intake/Insurance Verification: Note patient arrival and indicate in Cerner; determine if Hospital registration is required; have the patient complete all necessary paperwork; photocopy all appropriate insurance documentation; obtain authorization for the patient's test(s).
- Scheduling: Schedule inpatient and outpatient hospital testing; schedule follow-up clinic appointments for patients in Cerner; give patients necessary instructions for their hospital ordered test(s); advise patients on the need for authorization/pre-certification; copy all scripts that are given to the patient; follow-up on "no-show" patients.
- Billing: Have patients complete all of the appropriate billing forms; photocopy patient's insurance cards/forms; collect copayments, issue a receipt to the patient and log collections; collect deposits from self-pay patients; obtain referrals and/or authorization in advance of the patient's appointment; post all cash receipts in Cerner and prepare co-pays for pick-up; serve as liaison to the Department of Medicine.
- Administrative: Support secretary functions as it relates to obtaining orders from physicians and respond to inquiries as necessary. Greet patients and answer telephones in assigned area and assist callers and direct calls as appropriate. Help call response for the department. Provide in-service training for users. Maintain the day-to-day operation of Cerner performance workflow.
- Call Center: Manage appointment schedules and patient flow. Connect patient to Navigators/Financial Counselors to assist with financial concerns or inability to pay. Ensure accurate and timely information exchange with clinical staff. Act as a liaison between patients and other areas to ensure optimal flow and service delivery. Facilitate collaboration with all hospital and Heart Institute personnel and community hospitals.
- General Clerical Duties: Schedule clinic (new patients and follow-ups) and testing appointments; mail new patient packets; take messages for physicians when necessary. Call patients to confirm their appointment. Ensure timely and complete capture of reports. Faxing, collating and reconciling reports. Maintain all records and patient's files in accordance with hospital and regulatory standards.
- Coverage: Provide coverage for the Heart Institute reception desk and our Tech Park, Hauppauge and Electrophysiology/HSC offices.
- Other duties as assigned
This position will require the selected candidate to work weekends, holidays on a rotating basis and travel to our Hauppauge, Tech Park, Ronkonkoma and HSC offices.
Required : Associates degree or, in lieu of degree, a high school diploma with 18 months of administrative experience in a healthcare setting. Computer and Microsoft Office Suite experience.
Preferred : Insurance authorization and patient scheduling experience. Cerner EMR experience. Cardiology practice and Non-Invasive Cardiology testing experience. Strong customer service, communication, organizational and problem solving skills.
Special Notes : Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Posting Overview : This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
This function/position maybe designated as "essential." This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services*
Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
Successfully complete a 5 panel drug screen*
Successfully complete a Background Check investigation.
Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
*The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination .
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access at (631)632-6280.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewedhere.
Visit ourWHY WORK HEREpage to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: TH Instructional Support Assistant
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Non-Invasive Cardiology-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Part-time Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM Pass Days: Tue, Wed, Thu, Sat
Posting Start Date: Apr 26, 2021
Posting End Date: Jul 26, 2021, 3:59:00 AM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL1
Internal Number: 2101444
About Stony Brook University
FROM ITS BEGINNINGS A HALF-CENTURY AGO, STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY HAS BEEN CHARACTERIZED by innovation, energy and progress, transforming the lives of people who earn degrees, work and make groundbreaking discoveries here. A dramatic trajectory of growth has turned what was once a small teacher preparation college into an internationally recognized research institution that is changing the world.