Green Acres School is seeking a part-time (25 hours a week) Learning Coordinator for the Middle School (grades 5–8). The successful candidate will enjoy working with children, teachers, and parents and will view teaching and learning through a progressive education lens. As a progressive school, Green Acres highly values “learning by doing” and collaborative, project-based work.
Responsibilities of the position include:
· Interpreting and analyzing psycho-educational testing and sharing this information with teachers and staff to identify the best way to support students; taking this information to build and generate student learning plan and sharing this with the teacher and families
· Meeting with families with students with Learning Plans once each year to update the plan
· Educating parents and staff on ways to support executive functioning and attentional needs, psychoeducational testing, child language and motor skill development, and reading and math development
· Leading and participating in parent meetings when information regarding evaluations, learning plan, and outside supports is discussed
· Ensuring students are receiving appropriate classroom accommodations and identifying and addressing student academic concerns through problem solving
· Providing direct student support for reading and math through small group and one- on-one instruction through both push-in and pull-out models.
· Collaborating with outside professionals (SLP, OT, tutors) and helping to carry over their goals into the classroom
· Leading the Student Support Committee to brainstorm how to best meet student’s needs and collaborating with teams of teachers, school counselor, and administration to support student development
· Providing ongoing professional development and instructional support for teachers, as well as parent education
· Coordinating the schedule of tutors and outside professionals; providing professional referrals to families
· Managing information between outside professionals and teaching staff, such as testing forms, recommendations, and progress notes
· Attending and advocating during MCPS screenings and IEP meetings held at home public schools, working with families as a liaison to MCPS to help them receive testing and supports from MCPS
· Consulting with Admissions staff; talking to parents and attend Admissions meetings when requested
· Participating in weekly grade-level meetings
· Organizing and guiding the communication between grades for each student (strategy sheets)
· Attending parent conferences in the fall and spring and throughout the year when recommendations for evaluations or outside support is needed
· Supporting students with testing accommodations for the ERBs and National Spanish Exam
· Working with Middle School teachers to integrate executive functioning skills into the classroom; providing support during HELP and Advisory times
· Leading a resource class for Middle School students
· Running after school Homework Club for Middle School
Degree with a focus on special education or a related field; advanced degree preferred
Previous experience in the position preferred
Training in Phonographix, Read Naturally and Multi-sensory Math would be appreciated; if candidate has not been trained in these, a willingness to attend professional development in these areas would be appreciated
Experience working with 5th through 8th grade students
Ability to communicate effectively with parents, students, and staff
The candidate should be comfortable designing and delivering instruction remotely, when needed.
Participation in weekly staff meetings and school-wide professional development initiatives
About Green Acres School
Founded in 1934, Green Acres School is one of the country’s leading progressive schools. Serving approximately 200 students in grades PK-8, the school occupies a 15-acre campus in North Bethesda, Maryland. Our school focuses on the development of the whole child through an academically challenging program that emphasizes interdisciplinary and experiential learning.
Green Acres School offers a collegial work environment, competitive salaries, and a strong benefits package. Multiple buildings serve Lower School (PK-4) and Middle School (5-8) students; we value the outdoors for ourselves and for our students. Strong understanding of child development is essential for Green Acres teachers. An advanced degree in addition to significant experience with best practices in progressive education is strongly preferred.