Job Title: Advising Specialist (PT) - Construction Management/Engineering Technologies
Department: Office of Advising and Student Information Services (OASIS)
Division: Division of Global Learning and Partnerships
Reports to: OASIS Director
The Advising Specialist-Construction Management/Engineering Technologies will join the Rowan Global Office of Advising and Student Information Services (OASIS) team in achieving the Division’s enrollment, retention, and graduation goals for students in our expanding construction and engineering technology undergraduate degree completion programs.
The Advising Specialist-Construction Management/Engineering Technologies will collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to improve student onboarding, communication, outreach, advising, and student services initiatives and to assist matriculated students in connecting with appropriate institutional resources to facilitate the achievement of their academic, personal, and professional goals.
1. Assist with recruitment activities, enrollment outreach initiatives, new student orientations, and developing advising materials and presentations to support individual and group advising sessions for various sites/modes of delivery.
2. Advise students about academic requirements, testing and certification requirements, and course selection via individual and group sessions (virtually and face-to-face) and provide guidance to students on relevant institutional policies and procedures.
3. Stay abreast of institutional information including admissions requirements, academic programs, course changes, deadlines, important dates, costs, expanding facilities, updates in college-wide initiatives, transfer requirements, and state and federal mandates.
4. Understand the institution’s interpretation of FERPA rules for the release of student information to faculty, families, students, etc.
5. Refer students to the appropriate specialized staff for services such as tutoring, testing, counseling, disability resources, financial assistance, study abroad, field placement, etc.
6. Maintain accurate records (including electronic notes) of interactions with students.
7. Produce and use data and reports regarding academic progress issues for assessment purposes and for monitoring student progress and outreach.
8. Assist with the development of communications (e.g., newsletters, social media) and events to support the needs of a primarily non-residential, post-traditional student population.
9. Support academic progress review and outreach to students in academic jeopardy.
10. Perform other related duties as assigned.
11. Travel to other campuses, including for evening and weekend events, as required.
12. Understand that primary responsibilities and/or office location may be subject to change as programs offered through Rowan Global expand and evolve.
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in a field relevant to the position preferred.
One year of experience working directly with students in a post-secondary educational institution or other appropriate educational setting.
Experience as an online academic advisor or instructor at the college level, especially for adult, community college, online, and/or transfer student populations.
Familiarity with the construction industry, engineering technologies, apprenticeship training, etc., highly desirable.
Knowledge of NACADA Advising Core Competencies.
Proficiency with Microsoft Office and student information systems (e.g., Banner, Colleague).
Data management and interpretation skills.
Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills.
Superior customer service skills.
Flexibility, creativity, and passion for student success.
Demonstrated commitment to diversity, e
Internal Number: 495103
About Rowan University
A leading public institution, Rowan University combines liberal education with professional preparation from the baccalaureate through the doctorate. Rowan provides a collaborative, learning-centered environment in which highly qualified and diverse faculty, staff, and students integrate teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, and community service. Through intellectual, social and cultural contributions, the University enriches the lives of those in the campus community and surrounding region.