Responsible for managing Lehigh’s pre-professional programs and supporting students and alumni in these programs. This includes both academic advising as well as career coaching to support students/alumni in developing effective plans for both academic and professional goals. The individual must be committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment and demonstrate commitment to innovation and risk-taking across all accountabilities. Currently remote with return to campus as permitted. The Lehigh community takes seriously our commitment to antiracism and The Principles of our Equitable Community.
1. Develop and support engagement strategies: (20%) Design, and execute a student engagement strategy in the following areas: pre-health, pre-law and pre-graduate study *Work with the Career Education Director and Senior Director to plan and execute strategic plans for each fiscal year, emphasizing college-wide collaboration including Associate Deans, Department Chairs, faculty, and staff *Determine educational needs and develop innovative approaches to implement appropriate policies, programs and materials for students and alumni interested in the health professions, the law and graduate study in any discipline *Provide pre-professional education and skill development utilizing the most current best practices regarding professional programs, admissions standards and necessary competencies for pre-health, pre-law, and pre-graduate study populations, along with multicultural competence; participate in professional development to maintain this knowledge base and develop connections with external constituents *Develop scaled approaches to address student and alumni career needs related to career information and development of competitive applications to health professional, law and graduate schools; administer and interpret assessments (Strong Interest Inventory, Myers-Briggs Type Inventory) when indicated during career coaching appointments *Explore and implement appropriate technology to connect with pre-health, pre-law and pre-graduate study populations as well as optimize efficiency in application processes. Maintain websites, Course Sites, etc., as indicated for these student populations. Track and communicate information about appropriate opportunities for interested students *Provide feedback on personal statements, essays, and resumes for health professional, law and graduate school populations *Conduct mock interviews for Lehigh applicants to health professional and graduate-level programs *Prepare and maintain statistical reports, materials and trends related to admission to professional school: for use by the administration, faculty and admissions and for use in coaching Lehigh students and alumni
2. Academic Support and Development: (20%) Advise students and alumni about academic requirements and appropriate course selection for health professional, law and graduate schools *Serve as an Academic Advisor for students in the accelerated medical programs, with roles in registration, course selection and fulfillment of program requirements *Provide career coaching and academic advice to students and alumni to address any impediments to achievement of goals *Examine and assess student transcripts, test scores and supporting materials to facilitate academic advising and determine eligibility for professional and graduate programs *Assist Associate Deans in advising and transition activities for incoming pre-health and pre-law students *Represent student interests in long-range academic planning with faculty members for health professional schools *Track, analyze and maintain records of standardized testing trends for Lehigh applicants to professional and graduate school *Research, analyze and compile benchmark data/information from peer institutions regarding academic processes, test scores that aid in the competitive advantage for Lehigh students *Maintain confidential files and related admissions process for entrance to professional and graduate programs
3. Manage Career Education Programming: (20%) Create, plan and deliver pre-professional events and specialized programming designed to enhance student knowledge and understanding of relevant professional, application and admissions issues for health professional programs, law schools and graduate programs; collaborate with the Career Education team to coordinate career events, special college events, career expos and targeted programming *Conceptualize, schedule and conduct workshops and information sessions on relevant professional, application and admissions issues for health professional, law and graduate programs; schedule speakers on relevant topics *Collaborate with the Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) team to execute the office’s signature event, the Fall Career Expo, which connects 1,500 students to 350+ industry representatives from 150 companies *Collaborate with the CCPD team to plan and deliver skill-building workshops and career education programs throughout the course of the academic year *Track and analyze student interest across pre-professional programming to ensure delivery of the most relevant offerings of workshops and other events in specific disciplines and professional areas
4. Committee Process and Administration: (20%) *Serve as primary administrator for the Health Professions Advisory Committee; plan and manage the committee process for each health professional application cycle; author the institutional committee letter for each Lehigh applicant to medical, dental, optometry, or podiatry school each cycle *Serve as primary administrator for the St. Luke’s Biomedical Externship; each semester, advertise the course and manage applications, interviews, selection and registration of juniors and seniors; serve as primary point of contact among students, faculty and hospital personnel *Serve as primary administrator for Lehigh applicants to the Temple/St. Luke’s Early Assurance Program; each fall semester, advertise the program and manage the applications and committee process for qualified juniors *Evaluate, when requested by administration or faculty committee, the status of the accelerated medical programs at Lehigh
5. Program promotion in campus communities and external outreach: (20%) Represent Lehigh in all aspects of pre-professional programs with internal and external constituents *Serve as liaison between professional schools and Lehigh applicants *Communicate with external constituents, including law school, medical school and other graduate-level admissions officers, college relations officers, parents, alumni, prospective students, professional colleagues, professional organizations and the professional community *Represent students and the University to external constituents *Provide outreach to Lehigh faculty, chairs, and mentor/advisors regarding services provided *Provide information on application and admissions trends to faculty, deans, admissions and athletic personnel, and other members of the Lehigh community *Serve, when requested, as advisor to student pre-professional clubs and groups *Represent Lehigh and the CCPD in local and national professional associations and conferences in order to stay current with industry standards and trends, revise programs to reflect trends and increase the center’s visibility among professionals in the field
Position Number: S88250
This position is expected to work remotely while the campus remains in a limited capacity due to COVID-19; in the future it is expected that this position will be staffed on campus where they can be fully accessible to the Lehigh community
Master's Degree in Counseling or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Five to eight years related work experience
Career coaching experience in a higher education setting preferred
Excellent oral, written, presentation communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to build, foster and maintain positive professional relationships
Solid analytical, decision making and problem solving skills
Solid computer skills with experience using word processing and spreadsheet software
Successful completion of standard background checks including but not limited to: social security verification, education verification, county and national criminal background checks, PATCH, FBI fingerprinting, Child Abuse Clearance. Based upon the requirements of the position Lehigh may also request credit history reports, motor vehicle checks and professional license/certification verification
Only complete applications will be considered therefore please complete the application in its entirety. Once the posting is removed from the website applications may no longer be allowed to be completed.
Internal Number: 499381
About Lehigh University
Lehigh is a premier residential research university, ranked in the top tier of national research universities each year. We are a coeducational, nondenominational, private university that offers a distinct academic environment of undergraduate and graduate students from across the globe.