At The Mission Continues, we empower veterans to continue their service and empower communities with veteran talent, skills and preparedness to generate visible impact. We’re investing in veterans, equipping them with the tools and resources to lead a growing veteran volunteer movement. Through networks, training, and pathways, veterans can continue to serve while creating meaningful impact in under-resourced communities.
We are currently seeking a full-time Senior Director, Communications to create, guide and align a messaging strategy across all communications including, but not limited to: website and social media, public and media relations, internal communications and program collateral. With an emphasis on writing and content development, this role is focused on storytelling that raises the profile of and articulates the vision of the organization for program participants, supporters and volunteers. The Senior Director leads projects, people and partnerships across all major external campaign efforts, as well as supporting the programs and initiatives of other internal departments. The Senior Director sits at the center of messaging strategy and works collaboratively with other Communication, Marketing and Events colleagues as well as with other teams and functions. The location for this position is flexible. This individual will report to the Senior Vice President of External Affairs and manages a team of four.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Collaborate with teammates in cross-functional departments by developing and executing comprehensive communications plans to support our strategic plan and mission; provide communications and content support for programs.
- Develop strategic, creative, and proactive digital and traditional integrated marketing and communication programs to communicate organization’s key messages; achieve ongoing positive publicity; enhance the brand; and achieve department and organizational goals and objectives.
- Lead a team of four and provide clear direction ensuring all conceptual and creative ideas meet objectives, strategies, and timelines. Provide coaching, encouragement, and training as needed to internal and external audiences.
- Serve as an expert advisor on digital and traditional marketing strategy and brand management to the organization. Assist in identifying the most effective means of leveraging digital, video, audio, and print content.
- Manage vendors in graphic design and content development who supplement team capacity with writing, editing, designing and producing materials.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in communications, media relations, brand management, traditional and digital marketing (including print, web, and digital advertising).
- Expert in writing and editing engaging and creative content. Excellent and creative writer of marketing content that engages audiences, is tailored to each varied medium and uses AP Style.
- Expert knowledge of digital marketing principles including website development, SEO optimization, social media strategy, organic and paid strategies, and e-direct marketing (e-cards, e-newsletters, etc.)
- Experience in managing and developing team members, providing coaching and professional development. Able to give and accept constructive criticism. An ability to solve problems and offer solutions.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Demonstrated ability and initiative to work independently with limited supervision on simultaneous projects, as well as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable with and enjoy public speaking with experience presenting to small and large groups, as well as able to speak effectively in one-on-one situations.
- Experience with crisis communications is a plus.
- You are a courageous leader and a culture add. You lead and listen with empathy and put the people you serve at the center of the work. You are an advocate for a diverse, equitable and inclusive workforce. You bring a unique skill set developed from diverse experience and are willing to share your expertise and perspective with the team.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: (Outside of global pandemic)
Must have the ability to travel to multiple cities throughout the United States. Multi-day and/or weekend travel will be required on program event dates for in-person events, and online for virtual events. Flex time is available. There may be long days with virtual programming continuing into the evening hours. Some longer sessions may be held over the weekend.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. If you require a reasonable accommodation in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caitlin Zbikowski, Manager of Talent Acquisition & Onboarding at [email protected]
If the above speaks to you, we’re excited to learn more about you! The Mission Continues recognizes that diverse employees, veterans and supporters are critical to our workforce and mission. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all team members are valued and have the opportunity to reach their full potential. We want a team that reflects our diversity, so that we can approach every mission with integrity, compassion and authenticity. Compensation is competitive and is commensurate with experience. The Mission Continues offers exceptional medical, dental, vision, life and long term disability benefits for all team members. All successful candidates for this position will be required to submit to a criminal background check.
At The Mission Continues, we empower military veterans to find new missions at home by deploying them in their communities. We believe that community service can provide a renewed sense of purpose, restore social connections, and create new opportunities for civic action. We see these as uniquely important for veterans reintegrating back to civilian life after their military careers. We’re crazy passionate about working with military veterans to help them create a legacy of service and leadership. We care deeply about the communities we serve and about each other’s growth. We work hard—because we know that our work changes lives and shapes communities. We’re maniacally optimistic. We’re thinking big, we take chances, we celebrate our successes and we’re not afraid to fail.
The Mission Continues is a national non-profit organization that empowers veterans who are adjusting to life after the military to find purpose through civic action. Our veterans take on kickass missions in local communities to drive real change for our country. We’ve been called “innovative”, “motivating” and “a cult.” Two of those are true.
Based on team member feedback, The Mission Continues has been... named to the 50 Best NonProfits to Work for in the country by The NonProfit Times for the past four years and as one of the Best Places to Work by Outside Magazine. As the organization grows, we’re committed to maintaining that track record—and to having a hell of a lot of fun at the same time.