Location: Off Campus Location - Twin Falls Co. Extension Office
Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $15.92 per hour or higher depending on education and experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Position Summary: The coordinator will be trained in the Juntos 4-H Program including core components of Juntos 4-H which include family engagement, 4-H clubs, on-on-one success coaching & mentoring, and summer programming. Coordinator will work with identified middle schools and community partners to promote family involvement and focus on academic success, career exploration and college readiness activities of youth participant. This project will provide the culturally responsive, high quality community-based Juntos Program with year-round success coaching to a cohort of Latinx students starting in 8th grade and provide family engagement and assist youth in achieving academic success with an emphasis on going on to post-secondary education. During the summer, Juntos 4-H participants will engage in academically-focused, experiential learning, as well as workplace and campus visit experiences. An emphasis will be placed on building relationships between middle-school students and high school/undergraduate student mentors, academic advisors, career counselors, and business and community leaders. Major responsibilities include recruitment of students, organizing and implementing the academic year program, implementing in-school, bi-weekly 4-H clubs, academic year success coaching and completion of related documentation, maintaining contact with students and families throughout the academic year with bilingual family engagement workshops and events.
Minimum Qualifications: - Bachelors degree.
- Bi-lingual experience in Spanish (ability to read, write and speak).
- Experience working effectively as a team member using interpersonal and written communication skills with tact and diplomacy with an ability to present educational content in large groups and individual settings.
- Experience with self-direction and follow-through in developing, organizing, planning and implementing programs/activities and maintaining attention to detail, as well as confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
Preferred Qualifications: - Masters degree in related field such as counseling, education, adult education, educational leadership, higher-education administration, etc.
- College course work in child/youth development and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience with 4-H youth development; working with a non-profit advisory board; recruiting and working with volunteers.
- Knowledge of I-Pads/computers and educational software; effectively using computers as a teaching strategy.
- Effective verbal communication skills.
- Bi-cultural experience (relating to more than one distinct culture) with demonstrated experience working with individuals from varying cultural and/or socio-economic backgrounds (specifically Latinx student and families).
- Possess familiarity with and/or interest in community engagement.
- Knowledge of barriers to post-secondary education.
- Experience in educational outreach and access, student aid including FAFSA, scholarships, and loan information.
- Experience working with limited income/first generation college bound students.
- From or familiar with the Magic Valley region, specifically Twin Falls County.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions: - Willingness and ability to occasionally work some evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Ability to travel to work sites and meeting locations within the county.
- Must be able to provide own transportation. University will follow applicable policies if personal vehicle is used, which may include reimbursement at a pre-established rate.
Posting Number: SP002631P
Posting Date: 11/03/2020
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions: First consideration will be given to those who apply by Wednesday, November 18, 2020. This position will remain open until a suitable applicant pool has been identified.
IMPORTANT: To be considered, your Letter of Qualification must address EACH of the required qualifications, including pertinent education and/or experience. In addition, to improve your ranking during the evaluation process, address as many of the Preferred Qualifications as possible. Information on a resume will not be accepted as a substitute for submitting a Letter of Qualification.
Please note this position is located in southern Idaho in Twin Falls, Idaho.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. One of the nation’s land-grant research universities, U of I is a noted national leader in student-centered learning and interdisciplinary research that promotes public service. Our work serves businesses and communities, advancing the pursuit of diversity, citizenship and global outreach.