St. Mary's Episcopal Day School, a PK-8 coed independent day school located in beautiful South Tampa, Florida, is seeking a Middle School Division Head for the 2021-2022 school year (start date of July 1, 2021).
St. Mary’s School was established in 1953 and the campus rebuilt beginning in 2001. The well-equipped campus includes classrooms, science labs, spaces for art and music, a video production studio, a media center containing more than 15,000 volumes, and beautiful grounds including three artificial turf areas.
Each classroom is equipped with desktop computers, iPads, and Novotouch Interactive Screens. The Laird Center contains a full court gymnasium with two full-size practice courts and athletic equipment facilities. St. Mary’s Hall is our home for performing arts as well as an event center for our school and parish. Our South Tampa location affords many opportunities for enrichment trips to the Straz Performing Arts Center, the Tampa Museum of Art, the Tampa Bay History Museum, the Florida Aquarium, historic Ybor City, and more. St. Mary’s School is accredited through 2023 by FCIS (Florida Council of Independent Schools) and SAIS (Southern Association of Independent Schools).
THE MIDDLE SCHOOL DIVISION HEAD is a member of St. Mary’s Episcopal Day School’s senior leadership team. Reporting to the Head of School, the Middle School Division Head oversees all aspects of school life for students in grades 6-8 and for the faculty and staff who support students in their middle school years. St. Mary’s offers an accelerated curriculum, designed to challenge students academically. All students receive instruction in art, music, Spanish, performing arts, technology, library, Sacred Studies, STEAM, and physical education. Latin is offered in the Middle School and eighth graders receive instruction from the Head of School in public speaking. This transforms students into confident speakers and culminates with our annual presentation of the Speech Extravaganza. The excellent Middle School teaching faculty also includes a Learning Resource Coordinator to ensure student success.
Interested candidates should review instructions and the full Position Description found here:
ACADEMIC LEADERSHIP & RESPONSIBILITIES • Serve as the lead educator for the middle school (6-8) program. Supervise faculty through observation and evaluation. Manage professional development resources for middle school teachers. Serve as the lead hiring officer for middle school teachers. Recruit and retain qualified professionals who believe in the mission of the school.
• Oversee development and ensure continuity of curriculum across grade levels.
• Work closely with the Intermediate Division and Primary Division Heads to ensure smooth academic and social/ emotional transitions for students moving between divisions.
• Provide guidance and support for families selecting area high schools. Serve as a strong advocate for the school’s students, communicating their potential for success at the secondary level. Be a visible presence in the Tampa Bay area independent school community. Cultivate a network of professional colleagues in the secondary schools.
• Oversee operational management of the Middle School: guide students, faculty, and parents as the primary administrative point-person for all aspects of the Middle School experience.
• Serve as lead administrator for disciplinary concerns. Set clear expectations for community responsibilities and behavior.
• Oversee maintenance and improvements for Middle School facilities. Review and recommend technology that enhances the classroom academic experience.
• Serve as a key counselor to the Head of School on all issues that impact students and families in the middle school years.
• Work with Parents’ Association to offer programs and social events to support parents and families.
• Work closely with the Director of Admissions to highlight the value of the school for the middle school years. Support admissions events and outreach efforts as requested.
• Serve as an upstanding representative of the school to internal and external communities.
• Approach decisions with the intellectual and emotional growth of every child in mind.
• Contribute to the school through teaching, coaching, advising, and/or other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
•Substantive administrative experience at an independent school or comparable academic program and a record of collaboration as a school faculty member
• Approachable and energetic with strong interpersonal and communications skills; a team player who loves schools and working with youth, and will be a visible presence on campus
• Commitment to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of school life
• Familiarity with best practices in middle school education
• Familiarity with the Tampa Bay region’s independent school and public/magnet school programs or a willingness to become a visible member of the wider school network in the area
• Advanced degree preferred
About St. Mary's Episcopal Day School
PK-8 coed independent day school located in South Tampa, Florida.