The American Counseling Association (ACA) is the world’s largest organization representing professional counselors in various practice settings. Our vision: Every person has access to quality professional counseling to thrive. Our mission: Promote the professional development of counselors, advocate for the profession, and ensure ethical, culturally-inclusive practice. Our values: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Integrity, Proactive Leadership, Professional Community & Relationships, Scientific Practice & Knowledge, Social Justice & Empowerment.
All American Counseling Association team members are encouraged, supported, and expected to demonstrate The Way We Work Values: Be Flexible, Be Creative, Be Empowered, Be Inquisitive, Be Collaborative and Be Respectful.
The Program Manager, Ethics will serve as a staff subject matter expert (SME) and lead the development of all ethics related programs and oversee the program portfolio and initiatives. This position works with the Senior Manager, Continuing Professional Education in collaboration with the Brand and Engagement Team to drive consistent communications around ACA Code of Ethics, common principles and interpretive documents. This position will also serve as a project manager to help with content research, creation and curation, live trainings, curriculum development and supporting the daily needs for ACA’s members.
This professional staff member possesses the knowledge and skills which combines counseling skills, content creation and curation skills with an understanding of curriculum development for continuing professional development programs aligned with ACA’s strategic plan. This role is also responsible for providing assistance to the Knowledge and Learning team and related committees, such as the Ethics Committee; developing resources, materials, and curriculum development as a SME; assisting with the Graduate Student ethics competition, and participating in other ACA programs and initiatives.
• Serve as a SME in ethics program considerations contributing to writing monthly ethics column, Q&A documents, and periodic summaries for ACA brand communications and membership campaigns.
• Manage and maintain the ACA Ethics webpage, lead the content development of related information and resources by partnering effectively with multiple teams and lines of business to achieve timely publishing.
• Write, develop and facilitate appropriate ethics and practice related resources, materials, and professional development opportunities (for example, serve as interviewee for ACA continuing professional development videos, facilitate conference sessions, lead ethics presentations in collaboration with supervisor).
• Assist supervisor to facilitate the in-house training of counseling professionals with practice support and provide consultation service on adhoc basis.
• Function as the staff liaison for the Ethics Committee and other committees / Task Forces, as needed.
• Facilitate ethics complaints and support with the adjudication process.
• Develop curriculum for continuing education products in collaboration with supervisor.
• Performs editorial review, identifies topics, delegate authorship/editing and serve as SME reviewer for practitioner based content.
• Assist K&L staff for other ethics and practice related issues.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Serve as project manager on assigned initiatives, leading the design, planning, and execution of activities and tactics.
• Identify, engage, and oversee relationships with external consultants as needed.
• Participate in ACA team meetings, providing updates on team activities and participate in discussions and planning on overarching organizational issues and projects.
• Communicate and respond to inquiries in a timely fashion.
• Establish project plans and outline expectations and responsibilities, and communicates to team staff.
• Attend ACA Annual Conference and Expo, governance meetings, and other meetings and special events as requested and required.
• Develop and participate in a team work culture; works on assigned cross-functional project teams and serves as project leader as requested; and attend inter-department meetings.
• Perform core function and position-related responsibilities and tasks as requested and required.
• Master’s degree in mental health counseling.
• At least five years of experience as a licensed mental health counselor.
• Knowledge of practice issues, and agency or private practice experience preferred.
• Knowledge of effective clinical counseling practices, programs, and issues.
• Knowledge of ACA’s 2014 Code of Ethics.
• Ability to establish effective partnerships and provide leadership for initiatives.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent planning, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to exercise good judgment when there is ambiguity.
• Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
• Ability to conceptualize, plan and implement new initiatives.
• Ability to take responsibility and function under minimal supervision.
• Ability to work with wide range of people in a team based environment.
Internal Number: ACAIN1006
About American Counseling Association
The American Counseling Association is a not-for-profit, professional and educational organization that is dedicated to the growth and enhancement of the counseling profession. Founded in 1952, ACA is the world's largest association exclusively representing professional counselors in various practice settings.