Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
Banner Academy is a private day school for students who are emotionally fragile, learning disabled, and high functioning on the autism spectrum. We have students in grades 4 through 12 in the school and operate five classrooms. Each classroom has two teachers and a maximum of 12 students. This environment is a structured, individualized, yet nurturing, and therapeutic school environment that focuses on academics as well as teaching social skills and life skills.
As a Special Education Teaching Assistant, you will work Monday - Friday, 7am-3:30pm. You will be responsible for checking students in and out, assisting assigned classroom teacher, grading assignments as well as recording grades, tutoring and behavioral management.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
POSITION SUMMARY This position assists in providing direct instruction to students with emotional or learning challenges in accordance with the school, state, federal, accreditation standards and guidelines.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Assists in developing curriculum, planning, and co-teaching academic classes. Maintains appropriate behavior of the students. Keeps all paperwork current and corrects assignments on a timely basis. Maintains safe environment in school and classroom. Supervises for teachers when necessary.
2. Assists in the development of curriculum, plans, and teaches nonacademic classes (i.e. Life Skills, Crafts, P.E.) Facilitates critical school component providing students with tools for anger management, coping techniques, basic social skills, etc. Provides feedback about social skills pertinent to goal objectives on students' Individual Education Plan to determine future placements.
3. Maintains the day school behavior management system. Assists with the daily operations to support student education. May also assist with communications through both scheduled and impromptu meetings with groups and individuals.
4. Acts as the liaison between the school and the public school district's transportation departments.
5. Provides student coverage in any part of the program as needed, maintaining a safe environment and appropriate student behavior.
6. Assists with recording and gathering data for program requirements.
7. Must have or be able to obtain CPR and First Aid Certification.
8. This position services the special educational needs of students at the Education Center. Interacts with all disciplines within the facility including nursing, family therapists, case managers and adjunctive therapies. Outside the facility, interacts with case managers, probation officers, school psychologists, school counselors, school teachers, officials from other treatment facilities and parents of students.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Associate's degree in appropriate field.
Knowledge typically achieved with 1 - 2 years of experience working with youth in a similar setting. In some states must be 21 years of age in accordance with state administrative codes. Must have excellent academic and communication skills.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or the Whole Health Clinic must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Bachelor's degree. Previous experience in a school setting working with special education.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R6167
About Banner Health
You want to change the health care industry – one life at a time. You belong here. You’re excited to be part of the dramatic changes happening in the health care field. In fact, you thrive on change. But you also understand that excellent, compassionate patient care is the true measure of the success of these changes. You belong at Banner Health. Our award-winning, comprehensive health system includes 23 hospitals in seven western states, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, a network of physician practices and much more. Throughout our system, skilled, compassionate professionals use the latest technology to change the way care is provided. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages: •Our vision for changing the future of health care gives you the opportunity to leverage your abilities to achieve something historic. •Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health. Our system also includes hospitals specializing in cancer, heart health and pediatrics. •Our many loc...ations also translate into a broad selection of exciting and rewarding lifestyle options – from the big city to the wide-open spaces. •Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible. •The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path. •Our competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.