Open Rank NTT & Assistant Director of Data Science
About Northeastern: Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and a world leader in experiential learning. The same commitment to connecting with the world drives our use-inspired research enterprise. The university offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Our campuses in Charlotte, N.C., San Francisco, Seattle, and Toronto are regional platforms for undergraduate and graduate learning and collaborative research. Northeastern pursues advanced research in security and materials at the Innovation Campus in Burlington, Massachusetts, and in coastal sustainability at the Marine Science Center in Nahant, Massachusetts.
About the Opportunity: The Khoury College of Computer Sciences and College of Engineering invite applications for the position of Assistant Director of the Data Science Program beginning in the Fall 2019 semester. This is a full-time, benefits eligible, non-tenure track position. Primary responsibilities include teaching, advising students, and overseeing administrative aspects of the professional MS program in Data Science. This position reports to the Director of the Data Science program in the Khoury College of Computer Sciences and College of Engineering.
Teaching, Advising and Student Services: - Teach four core or elective courses per year in the MS program in Data Science.
- Advise students on curriculum matters, and on preparation for a career in Data Science.
- Review requests for core course waivers, and for addition of ad-hoc elective courses, independent studies, research projects, and MS thesis projects.
- In collaboration with the academic advisors, monitor students' performance in the program, and establish clearance for graduation.
- In collaboration with the graduate school Associate Dean, manage disciplinary matters and student misconduct, academic probation and academic suspension.
Administration: - In collaboration with the Director of MS in Data Science, coordinate the overall program curriculum.
- In collaboration with the Director of MS in Data Science, develop teaching schedules on a per-semester basis, and faculty staffing. Work with the faculty to ensure the consistency of course offering across semesters and sections; participate in the hiring of program full-time and part-time non-tenure track faculty.
- In collaboration with the Admissions Committee, review applications for admission to the program. Communicate the information regarding the program to the prospective students. Coordinate the creation and grading of the program entrance examination.
- Interact with industrial and government agencies on behalf of the program. Identify opportunities for industry-sponsored intramural projects and coops.
- Represent the program internally at various college and inter-university open houses and functions.
Qualifications: Candidates must hold a PhD in Computer Science, Data Science or related field by the start date. Successful candidates will have demonstrated an expert grasp of knowledge of the field, and will be creative in their approach to teaching in an environment of cooperative, interdisciplinary and experiential education. Strong written, oral and interpersonal skills are required in order to communicate effectively with students in person and online. Teaching experience at the graduate level strongly preferred. The rank of appointment at either the Assistant Teaching Professor, Associate Teaching Professor, or Full Teaching Professor will be determined based on prior teaching experience, and will be discussed with the candidate during the interview process.
Please submit a cover letter of interest highlighting teaching accomplishments and relevant professional experience, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of at least three references. Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and includes an outstanding benefits package.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Founded in 1898, Northeastern University is a private research university located in the heart of Boston. Northeastern is a leader in worldwide experiential learning, urban engagement, and interdisciplinary research that meets global and societal needs. Our broad mix of experience-based education programs?our signature cooperative education program, as well as student research, service learning, and global learning?build the connections that enable students to transform their lives. The University offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs leading to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools.