The purpose of a job description is to outline the essential functions unique to a particular job within a specific department. Job descriptions are used to recruit, train, and evaluate employees.
REPORTS TO: Principal
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT - PROFESSIONAL
To provide a comprehensive guidance and counseling program designed to address the social, emotional, educational and occupational needs of all students.
Master’s Degree in Guidance & Counseling with School Counseling Endorsement on a Valid Texas Teaching Certificate preferred
To implement the high school curriculum of CityScape Schools’ K-12 Comprehensive Guidance Program;”
To guide and counsel individuals and groups of students through the development of educational and career plans, which may include:
1. Meeting with students whose names appear on the low grade list for each marking period and, if appropriate, formulating a plan of action for success involving the student and the parent;
2. Planning and/or promoting programs which enhance the academic, social or emotional growth of students, e.g., Curriculum Fair, Career Fair, Underclass Honors Assembly & Senior Honors Program, Graduation, opportunities for student enrichment and/or remediation, scholarship opportunities and parent informational programs;
3. Meeting with seniors once each semester and mailing updates on their graduation status to their parents;
4. Working with students who have discipline, attendance and academic problems and are referred by teachers, parents or administrators;
5. Insuring that students are aware of requirements for graduation and college admission, as well as any NCAA requirements that may be necessary for athletic participation;
6. Guiding each student to choose courses consistent with his/her interests, abilities and career plans;
7. Helping students develop post-secondary educational plans in accordance with their interests, abilities and career plans;
8. Assisting students with the completion of college admissions applications;
9. Organizing and promoting standardized assessment opportunities and interpreting test results to students and/or parents on request;
10. Assisting the principal in the preparation of diploma lists and identification of honor graduates in preparation for the Senior Honors Program and Graduation;
11. Assuring that appropriate, accurate information is maintained in each student’s permanent, cumulative record; and
12. Making necessary schedule changes for individual students that are both appropriate for their abilities and aligned with their educational and career plans.
To facilitate small groups for individual students with identified, common needs
To consult with and serve as a resource for students, staff and parents regarding developmental needs of students, which may include:
1. Identification and referral of students for Child Study Meetings;
2. Creation and oversight of Section 504 plans;
3. Active participation in Special Education meetings
4. Conference with individual students who have experienced a death in the family or serious illness and notification of their teachers.
5. Work with teachers to better help them understand students with physical or emotional challenges.
To refer students and parents/guardians to appropriate school and community resources;
To participate in, coordinate, conduct activities which contribute to the effective implementation of the high school component of the K-12 guidance curriculum;
To evaluate and revise the building guidance and counseling program;
To assist in the development of a District Assessment Program and the interpretation of testing and assessment results related to career guidance; and
To continue personal professional growth and development.
Other duties as assigned by the administration
Master’s Degree in Guidance & Counseling with School Counseling Endorsement on a Valid Texas Teaching Certificate preferred; bilingual English/Spanish preferred
Additional Salary Information: Employee only health insurance paid.
Internal Number: ACA1
About Cityscape Schools
Cityscape Schools is a Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade free public charter school located in Dallas, TX. Cityscape Schools was founded to serve high-risk students who are educationally disadvantaged.