The OHIO Honors Program, an innovative, experience-based honors program housed within the Honors Tutorial College at Ohio University, seeks an honors advisor to assist high-promise students from all majors in aligning their personal interests with their academic goals and applying their learning in the real world through internships, partnerships with community organizations, hands-on research, and other experiential learning opportunities. We are committed to a dual mission of access and excellence, and the program serves many first-generation college students and students from historically underrepresented groups.
Under the leadership of the director, the advisor will help students identify and pursue appropriate curricular and co-curricular experiences, document and track their honors requirements, and complete their senior portfolios and capstone projects.
For full consideration, please apply by December 1, 2020.
1. Serve as the honors advisor for up to 300 students in the OHIO Honors Program. Assist them in navigating program requirements; refer them to appropriate academic support services; help them understand the breadth of engagement opportunities and make strategic choices that advance personal and academic growth; and track progress using relevant software/databases. Use appreciative advising strategies and insure a safe and welcoming environment for all students.
2. Coordinate with campus and community partners to oversee some aspects of co-curricular experiences; facilitate student reflections and assess elements of student performance. Work with campus and community partners to develop and document new co-curricular experiences; contribute to unit-wide assessment of co-curricular proposals.
3. Plan innovative academic and social events for OHIO Honors students, and attend those events as appropriate. Identify and develop opportunities for OHIO Honors students to engage productively with students from other programs in the Honors Tutorial College and campus communities beyond the College.
4. Special projects, such as Bobcat Student Orientation advising and participation in recruitment and yield programs.
5. Prospective student communication, including meeting prospective students and families during campus visits, monitoring and responding to messages to the official OHP e-mail account, and taking telephone calls from prospective students and families.
Ohio University strives to be the best student-centered, transformative learning community in America, where approximately 40,000 students realize their promise. OHIO is committed to fostering, embracing, and celebrating diversity in all its forms. Our Athens Campus offers students a vibrant residential learning experience in one of the nation's most picturesque academic settings. Additional campuses and centers serve students across the state, and online programs further advance the University's commitment to providing educational access and opportunity.
Diversity is a core value at Ohio University. We believe that the educational environment is enhanced when diverse groups of people with diverse ideas come together to learn. The richness of the University community reflects diversity of culture, race, gender, religion, ideas, socioeconomic levels, sexual orientation, ability and a myriad of multi-cultures.
The successful candidate must have a minimum of a master's degree in college student personnel, higher education, or a related field, and 3 years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Additionally, the successful candidate must demonstrate skill in student advising, programming, and maintaining partnerships across units or organizations. A demonstrated commitment to serving students from historically underrepresented groups is critical for the role.
Preferred qualifications include experience in campus-community collaborations.
Planning Unit: Honors College
Department: Honors Tutorial College
Applicants may contact this person if they have questions about this position: Christy Zempter, [email protected]
Employment Type: full-time regular
Salary is commensurate with candidate's experience and qualification. Employees also enjoy a generous benefits package including health benefits, paid time off, and education benefits for employees and qualified dependents.
Internal Number: 35388
About Ohio University
Ohio University is home to one of the nation’s friendliest and most picturesque campuses. But more importantly, it’s where you can become part of a two-century tradition of excellence and embark upon a rewarding career that will make a real difference. From teaching and research to admissions, facilities maintenance, and residence life, our faculty and staff propel Ohio University’s mission of helping students become their best selves. OHIO offers competitive compensation and outstanding benefits. For a complete list of employment opportunities, please visit www.ohiouniversityjobs.com.Ohio University is an equal access/equal opportunity affirmative action institution. For more information about Ohio University’s policies prohibiting discrimination and harassment, visit www.ohio.edu/equity.