The Oakwood School seeks an energetic, creative teacher to teach in grades 5-8. Successful candidates will exhibit flexibility and adaptability with students in the middle grades. The ideal candidate will actively participate in the life of the school outside of the classroom and perform other non-teaching duties as assigned.
Develop meaningful relationships with students and parents that drive students to love learning and make exceptional academic gains.
Design and implement appropriate instruction of content area(s) assigned in with the school standards, curriculum, and student needs.
Create a positive educational climate for students to learn in an atmosphere of respect and rapport.
Create and deliver relevant and rigorous lessons that maximize student engagement and achievement.
Serve as Student Advisor to instruct students in citizenship and character development.
Develop lesson plans and instructional materials to provide individualized and small group instruction, and to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
Effective facilitation and personal use of technology as a communication and educational tool to improve student achievement and manage tasks.
Observe, evaluate and monitor student performance and mastery of standards.
Manage student behavior in the classroom by utilizing effective classroom management strategies.
Implement a clear and consistent behavior management system that aligns to Oakwood’s initiatives while developing students’ character and sense of community in the classroom.
Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect.
Participate in division meetings, before and after-school duties, Oakwood functions, clubs and athletic events.
Take all responsible precautions to provide for the health and safety of students and protect equipment, materials and facilities.
Appropriately maintain and secure confidential records, inquiries, and data.
Maintains appropriate certifications and professional development hours as required.
Perform any other duties as assigned.
a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in education
at least three years of teaching is preferred;
excellent understanding of the social, emotional, and academic needs of Middle School students and how to enthusiastically provide for them;
the ability to differentiate a rich, varied, and developmentally appropriate curriculum based on best practices and current research;
a desire to work in a diverse and inclusive school environment;
a commitment to work collaboratively and innovatively with colleagues; and
ability to communicate respectfully, proactively, and honestly both verbally and in writing with parents, colleagues, and administrators.
About The Oakwood School
The Oakwood School Mission Statement:
The Oakwood School seeks to instill in its students the strength of character, the creativity, and the wisdom to make a difference in the world.
The Oakwood School Statement of Philosophy
The Oakwood School exists to help our students to learn and to love learning, to value themselves and others, adn to become contributing members of ever-larger communities.
The Oakwood School Belief Statements:
* We believe in respect, responsibility, and honesty to self and others.
* We believe students become enthusiastic lifelong learners and develop a sense of community in small classes where they are valued and supported by others and where their talents and energy are recognized and enhance the common life.
* We believe that the need to develop positive relationships with others is as basic to human nature as is the need to learn.
* We believe that students come to understand that their growth occurs in the context of others' needs and views; that their own gifts can enrich the lives of others; and that other human beings, however different, have inherent dignity and value.
* We believe that both within and beyond the school walls, students learn that service to others is one of the deepest satisfactions the human spirit can know.