Collect and analyze patient data; assist with developing and implementing nursing plans; assist with evaluating nursing care; and with communicating relevant facts about patients, interventions, and patient responses to appropriate personnel.
This position reports to the Nurse Manager and will receive day-to-day direction and guidance from the Nurse Manager and Clinic Coordinator. This position may provide day-to-day direction and guidance to the Clinic Support Assistants and other support staff as appropriate.
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Take pertinent health history, vital signs, examine patients, collect specimens and treat appropriately according to established procedures and policies; maintain appropriate patient confidentiality. For patients in observation beds, keep progress notes based on observation of the physical and mental status of the patient.
2. Maintain and perform skills of physical assessment, CPR& AED, EKG, venipuncture, administration of medication and immunization and other nursing procedures; acquire and maintain skills needed to function in all areas of student health; participate in health teaching; assist Clinicians with appointments, examinations and procedures, and teaching as requested.
3. Provide direction and guidance in the proper use, care and control of material resources, appraise quality and effectiveness of same; report deficiencies to Nurse Manager or Manager of Health Center Operations; assist in inventory and replenishment of supplies.
4. Assist in developing and implementing general policies and procedures designed to increase efficiency and make recommendations for improvement in quality of nursing care.
5. Participate in training and orientation of new staff, serve as mentor and direct/coordinate student observers.
6. Attends all staff meetings and in-house service programs; serves on Health Center and other College committees as needed or appropriate.
7. Assess and treat patients according to established policy and procedure when no clinician is in the building, after clinic hours and weekends. Serve as the liaison between patients and Clinicians on call, independently assessing whether the patient falls within protocol and determining, with consultation, what the best treatment options are for each patient. Work collaboratively with law enforcement, emergency personnel, and counselors on call and hospital personnel to provide quality care for patients who may present with psychological, emotional, spiritual or physical crisis.
8. Collect and process urinalysis/urine cultures when the lab is closed. Perform as a phlebotomist when lab staff is unavailable -(ordering lab tests in the computer, drawing blood and collecting specimens and processing them to the off-campus lab appropriately).
9. Maintain electronic medical records for all patient interactions.
10. Report lab results to patients and notify Clinicians of critical lab results off hours.
11. Dispense medication to patients by following proper guidelines as specified in the medication room procedure manual.
12. Answer the phone, respond to inquiries, and schedule appointments for patients as needed.
13. Be available and recognize health care emergencies by triaging and promptly responding to patients’ health needs.
14. Maintain respect for patients’ rights and confidentiality as prescribed by the Patient Bill of Rights, NYS Confidentiality Laws, and HIPAA regulations.
15. Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
QUALIFICATIONS: Current New York State Registered Professional Nursing license and a minimum of 3 years relevant experience as a registered nurse; demonstrated careful attention to detail; excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment; excellent computer skills; proven assessment skills and the ability to handle confidential patient information are required. Prior college health experience and experience utilizing an electronic health record are preferred.
Most of the work of the incumbent is carried out within a generally accessible, safe, indoor environment. The incumbent will be required to use emergency medical equipment and is required to perform sterile and infectious disease control techniques in the normal performance of day-to-day operations.
Interested applicants must apply online and attach a resume, cover letter and list of three professional references. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Internal Number: 114
To provide a foundation for a lifetime of learning, Ithaca College is dedicated to fostering intellectual growth, aesthetic appreciation, and character development in our students. The Ithaca College community thrives on the principles that knowledge is acquired through discipline, competence is established when knowledge is tempered by experience, and character is developed when competence is exercised for the benefit of others. A comprehensive college that since its founding has recognized the value of combining theory and performance, Ithaca provides a rigorous education blending liberal arts and professional programs of study. Our teaching and scholarship are motivated by the need to be informed by, and to contribute to, the world's scientific and humanistic enterprises. Learning at Ithaca extends beyond the classroom to encompass a broad range of residential, professional, and extracurricular opportunities. Our undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, staff, and alumni all contribute to the learning process. Ithaca College is committed to attracting a diverse body of students, faculty, and staff. All members of the College community are encouraged to achieve excellence in... their chosen fields and to share the responsibilities of citizenship and service in the global community.